Torquing down carb on the manifold

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I must be missing something here. When installing the carb back on the manifold, the manual states to torque the nuts to 20ft-lbs. The problem is that all but 1 nut is accessible with a normal torque wrench & socket. The other 3 nuts require a wrench because there no way to get a ratchet and socket in there.

The same basic problem also exists for the fuel line nut. How do you properly torque that down?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
#40 of pull on a 6” open ended wrench.

If nothing else, torque the nut you can get to with the torque wrench and use it to help calibrate the feel on with your open end wrench

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I use a calibfrated elbow just good and snug no need to overthink it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Can't ever remember ever using a torque wrench on a carb. Roughly calibrated elbow is good enough

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The main thing to keep in mind it needs to be tight enough to seal the gasket but not so tight that you warp the aluminum castings that the carb is made of. I just get them snug and check them once at the start of each season. Check fuel fittings both at the pump and the carb...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Index finger on 6" wrench.....about 18 lb-ft of torque....seriously, most people can generate 35-45 pounds of pull with your index finger

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
remember you're not tightening a lug nut on a 3/4 ton pick up, all it has to do, is seal against vacuum.

sdowney717

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Feelings, just a feel for it. No need to measure it. And you dont want to warp the carb base. Mostly they are just lightly tightened enough to keep bolts from coming loose.