Jacked trailer tongue up with sterndrive down

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was doing some repairs to my sterndrive and it was in the (nearly) full down position. The hydraulic arms were extended maybe 2 inches. I later, absentmindedly, went to jack the tongue of the trailer up. I noticed at a certain point that the resistance on the hand crank became greater than when I started jacking the tongue up. I made it probably 4-5 good full 360 degree cranks before I noticed something was really not right. I looked at the back of the boat and the sterndrive fin was fully in contact the driveway. It took probably 6 turns in reverse of my trailer jack before the sterndrive pulled away from the cement.

Clearly I put some strain on the drive. I didn't jack the whole trailer off the ground or anything like that, but I definitely put some pressure on the drive.

For context, I have a 19" openbow ski boat with a Yamaha sterndrive (yea, I said it, a dinosaur).

How serious is this?

Alumarine

Captain
You're just fine.
When I hit rocks there's more force on the drive than that.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No worries. I do that once every season or two... I've taken to leaving a note on the tongue of the trailer (written on a block of wood) that says "raise drive" to help me remember.

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, all! I like the idea of the note on the tongue of the trailer :) I'll have to do that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the force of the prop puts more strain on the drive than you did.... your fine

emoney

Commander
Name somebody (other than me since I'm perfect) who HASN'T done this......its a good lesson and helps you to remember going forward.