‘97 4.3 Vortec Thunderbolt V ignition coil

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
As part of my 4bbl & intake swap, I’m looking to replace my current coil. Mostly because of corrosion that’s on my current coil.
I figure, while I’m in there freshening things up with a complete tube up, new hoses, manifold and carb. I may as well replace the corroded coil with a new one.
My question is, would there be any harm in running an Accel super coil/super stock coil or MSD Blaster II? I’ve seen the flame throwers, but have read a lot of negative reviews. I have a lot of experience with both Accel & MSD in the auto world, and know they’re good products.
I figure if I could go this route, aside from freshening it up and cleaning up the engine compartment it would allow me to run larger plug gaps.
any harm in running either the super coil or MSD?

alldodge

Staff member
Probably not but could even try the super duper pooper scooper coil with zang bang 09 Electro lighting coil

Sorry, but most folks get something else because of the cool name.

Think of it this way, your motor was designed for a given fuel amount and spark. If you increase the amount of spark, the fuel may burn faster. Could say, what's wrong with it burning faster? If it burns faster then it not burning fuel as designed.

Does this faster burning put more load of parts, don't know. Could it, don't know, anything is possible

Will say this, the offshore go fast boat keep saying MSD saves lost of money on fuel. It does this by parts failing and getting towed back to the dock

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wire brush your coil can an paint it. Youre then out $4 for the paint.

Spending money on an accell coil is just throwing money away. The Thunderbolt ignition is better than most aftermarket systems

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will say this, the offshore go fast boat keep saying MSD saves lost of money on fuel. It does this by parts failing and getting towed back to the dock

Must say I chuckled a bit at this..
I personally don't buy parts because they sound cool, but if there's a rationale behind them (hence the thought of wider plug gaps)
But you do make good points. My thoughts were that the OEM merc. coil was about on par cost wise as the Accel, MSD etc.

I figured if I was going to spring for one, why not potentially upgrade for similar costs if there's no drawback

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wire brush your coil can an paint it. Youre then out $4 for the paint.

Spending money on an accell coil is just throwing money away. The Thunderbolt ignition is better than most aftermarket systems

As always, I appreciate your input Scott.
Thanks again! not a fan of wasting money, but also easy to get sucked into replacing corroded old stuff when you're already knuckle deep in it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
99.5% of the time the corrosion is simply surface corrosion. thats why they sell paint in easy to apply spray cans....... that is part of maintenance.

I would be more worried about your oil pan than I would a coil if you have that much corrosion.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
99.5% of the time the corrosion is simply surface corrosion. thats why they sell paint in easy to apply spray cans....... that is part of maintenance.

I would be more worried about your oil pan than I would a coil if you have that much corrosion.

The engine is a reman quicksilver longblock, it was put in not long before I bought the boat in 2015.
I had it pulled last March when a starter bolt worked itself loose and sheared itself flush with the mounting pad.
when I had it out, everything looked good on the block and pan (aluminum pan of course)

I think most of the corrosion is on the peripheral stuff (intake, accessory brackets, coil etc) and the coil isn’t “bad” and you’re 100% right, it could be touched up.
it was just a thought since I’ll have it all disassembled this weekend anyhow.