‘97 4.3 Vortec Timing?

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ordered all the parts for my new 4bbl conversion, and I’m going to go ahead a freshen up all the ignition components while I have her apart.
With pulling the distributor to change the manifold, I’ll obviously have to reset the timing on this motor.
It’s a ‘97 Vortec 4.3. Im assuming it has Thunderbolt V ignition? From what I have read and can tell by looking at the module that’s what it appears to be.
A few questions
- what’s the procedure (pics are best if you have them) to lock it in base timing mode (I’ve read there’s a purple/white wire to ground somewhere?), and when timing is dialed in - at what point do I unlock it from base timing mode?

- For this particular motor, what is the setting? I know on older sbc and pre-Vortec it was +10 degree tdc. On the flame
arrestor it just says “see owners manual” that won’t work Bc I don’t have one on a 23 year old boat.

- timing marks, I’m used to having balancers with the timing marks on a decal, and metal front covers with the serrated tab on them... this only has one notch in the balanced, and a “groove” for a lack of better terms on the plastic front cover.
Am I to assume that in the absence of the decal and corresponding tab, That as long as this single notch lines up with the groove each time cyl. 1 fires, the timing is spot on? Could it really be that simple? Seems too easy almost.

Sorry for the lengthy post, not a noob to turning wrenches, but ECM controlled distributorless ignition has almost made me feel like one when it comes to old school timing adjustments

alldodge

Staff member
I’ve read there’s a purple/white wire to ground somewhere?

If yours is a TBV then yes, ground places in base timing mode. Use a jumper wire from a motor ground point to the pur/wht.

Timing set at 10* BTDC
Plugs MR43T gap .035

Am I to assume that in the absence of the decal and corresponding tab, That as long as this single notch lines up with the groove each time cyl. 1 fires, the timing is spot on?

No
You need to rent/borrow an advance timing light. The advance light gets adjusted to 10*BTDC then the marks on the damper and the timing cover will align. Can also do it with timing tape, but see if you can get a hold of an advance one

TBV timing.jpg

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Alldodge. My thoughts are, as long as I don't do too much to get the indexing of the distributor off when I reinstall it - as long as I have it at TDC on compression stroke I should be pretty darn close when I reinstall it, and it shouldn't be too terribly off. To be safe, I'll put it in base timing and hit it with a light.

I've not used one of the advance lights before, only the traditional ones, but the process seems to make sense to me and I think I can figure it out

If yours is a TBV then yes, ground places in base timing mode. Use a jumper wire from a motor ground point to the pur/wht.

Timing set at 10* BTDC
Plugs MR43T gap .035

The plugs that the engine cover that goes over the flame arrestor calls for are the MR43LTS - should I be using the MR43T instead?

alldodge

Staff member
The 155HP L and 175HP LX uses 43T
The 190HP L and 205HP LX uses LTS
Yours being a 97 it probably does use the LTS

Only issue with placing it back in correct place is it will be where the last owner left it. Just don't know if it was done correctly the last time

Can also use timing tape or measure circumference then dived by 360, then multiply by 10. This is the amount of distance 10 degrees equals. Mark that distance to the left of the mark on the damper

https://www.autozone.com/ignition/timing-tape/msd-timing-tape-for-harmonic-balancer/139829_0_0

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a good point and one I’ve considered. Other than the carb occasionally flooding and needing rebuilt she runs fantastic.
Only reason for the change is bc the carb and the intake is so corroded it makes me nervous. So figured this is the perfect time to upgrade!
I figure if nothing else, I’ll put it in base timing and use where it’s at currently as a starting point (it may be correct?) and go from there.
thanks for the tip on how to measure the balancer, that may come in super helpful