fuel life span

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Getting ready to close a 1989 sea ray 200 with a 3.0L mercruiser IO. I unfortunately didn't get much use this summer, only used 2 short days.

I filled the fuel tank last October, treated with Stabil. Was wondering if that fuel needs to be removed or can it be treated to last over the winter.

What do I need to remove the fuel from the under the floor tank?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use an electric fuel pump and draw the fuel out, or pull the inspection hatch and remove the sender to siphon the fuel out.

per the fuel companies, 6 months is the norm for fuel storage life. a bit longer if kept in a sealed and temp controlled container.

alldodge

Staff member
I've had older fuel which worked out. I wouldn't try E10 gas that old in a EFI motor but carb can work.

If you want to be safe, pump it out and burn it in your cars and other stuff. Can remove the antisiphon valve off the tank and install a straight brass barbed fitting and get it out that way.

If it was mine, I would lean toward waiting it out

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your fuel is already past its sell-by date

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Stabil claims storage up to 24 months for treated fuels.

Having said that, I personally wouldn’t want to go another 6 months if the fuel is already 12+ months old

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I last used my boat in 2017. I put in bottle of Merc's Fuel Stablizer, filled it up with Premium(My VP is speced for Midgrade, and Costco doesn't sell a midgrade in western Canada). Didn't use the boat in 2018, so I just dumped a bunch of a Starbrite Sabilizer in. This year I didn't use it either, so about 6 weeks ago I went to my Dealer, and borrowed their Electric pump and hoses they use to drain tanks. I managed to fill an almost empty RoadMaster(85 liters) and put about 28 liters in to a Fleetwood. I then filled the only empty 25 liter gas can I had, and it wasn't finished draining. My brother ever so nicely provided an empty gas can, by dumping the can I just filled with into one of his trucks, I then got another 8 liters out. No water came out. The gas, being at least 2 yrs old never caused any hickups in any of the vehicles it was dumped into, they ran fine, Both of the cars have the 2nd Generation LT1 and have 10.25 compression and normally are run on Regular.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When my boat blew the head gaskets in Aug of '16, it sat all of 17, while I did the top end engine overhaul, new heads, exhaust etc. Got it up and running in Sept of '17 on year old stabilized gas. Then in '18 tried to convert to a new Holley 4bbl, had no end of trouble with that thing. At end of '18 season had put new gas in, took out the old Q-Jet and engine ran fine. Boat ramp was all broken up here and could not launch. Boat sat till '19 season. Keep in mind by then some of the gas in it was going on 3 years old but it had a half tank added of 1 year old gas. Ran fine actually better than it ever had with the new heads, rebuilt QJet and center riser more efficient exhaust (vs the old batwings). Stabilized E-10. When I winterized it I'll dump out the contents in a Mason jar and post up the pic. Now normally it would not sit this long but things happen that get in the way.

Bondo

Staff member
If it smells like gas it will burn. If it smells like varnish -- not so much!

Ayuh,.... I agree,......

I believe the volume of how much gas we're talking about matters,.....
Bigger volumes. keep longer,.....

But anyways, the smell test is the ultimate test,.......
If it smells like gasoline,..... Run it,.....