Low temp at 28 - not winterized

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

I have a question. My boat is not currently winterized and is about 2 hours away from me. I am using the boat in 2 weeks but this coming Thursday night they are predicting a low of 28 where I have the boat stored.

Is this going to potentially damage my engine block?

Or does it have to be sustained below 32 degrees for many hours?

​​​​​​Thanks for your thoughts

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd be a bit nervous too. Is there anyone you can call to drain the block and manifolds? One quick dip don't Hurt, but when is the weatherman right?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,........ One of my mentors always said that it took 6 hours at 28* to crack a block,.......

Donno if it's true, as I never tested his theory,.....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Water is liquid at 32F, then as it loses more heat(latent heat) it freezes at 32 F. It can go from liquid to solid almost instantly and expands at the moment it changes State. How long it takes to freeze depends on several things. Mass of Water(and mass of engine block), temp of water/block prior to exposure to freezing temp, how far below freezing the Ambient Temp drops, and for how long. Also is it protected from moving air(currents/wind) which will increase the speed heat is removed from the block? I know in my Garage, with the heat turned off, the engine compartment stays well above freezing even when the temp drops to 20F outside, but I take no chances. Once Sept begins, the block, manifolds, pumps, and hoses are drained at the launch, after each trip to the lake.

Right now I am seeing highs of 54F and lows of 21F at night, next week it will be highs of 36 and lows of 10F.

A 5 hour return trip isn't too much to prevent a cracked block and/or allowing you to sleep without worry

Redrig

Yeah it's outside and covered from the top on a side patio but wind can certainly get to it .

I am planning it out for tomorrow , it's just not worth the risk .

It's one damn night , everything for the next 2 weeks is well above freezing but Thursday night they are showing a low of 28

Redrig

Got it done just to be safe . Motorhome too

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You could buy a few 300 watt magnetic block heaters..... However that means you need power.

Me, i would drain it

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Search over on the big A retailer for 'thermocube'. It looks like a little power strip that kicks on at 35 degrees, off at 42. During questionable weather I leave two old school 60watt incandescent bulbs in the engine compartment connected to that.

Nighttime low of 24 is my go/no go point. I've stuck temp sensors on the block, and hitting 24 degrees as a low puts the block at 32 degrees. Your mileage will vary depending on wind, engine compartment, and boat cover.

Redrig

That was good info in that post . Interesting about the number being 24 for you .

I always take a week off in mid October , and it's usually not an issue , but the west has a weird cold front moving through starting tonight .

Low is showing 22 now , so I'm glad I did it this last weekend .