The newest MerCruiser service bulletin

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Unauthorized Modifications to the Engine Control Module (ECM) Models Affected All Mercury Engines, All Years

Bulletin No. 2019-09

Well it's not really the newest, That's a FSM recall. But it does look like they are going to crack down.

Fun Times

Staff member
I know you can't post the whole bulletin but maybe you could try posting up a copy and paste of the main gist of say the top situation Merc normally provides for a better understanding per se?

Also the other day I notice you mentioned I "Was" a boat service tech for 30+ years...Are you still in the game working but heading for the big R word soon or already into Retirement?:couch2:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This bulletin and the one in the outboard section sound like the John Deere stories about trying to stop farmers from working on computerized farm equipment they own. I haven't seen the bulletins, but from what muc said, this seems to be the case.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Working on/repairing is one thing, modifying/reprogramming a ECM is an entirely different thing. It has implications with the EPA certs and will, as it should, void any and all Warranties.

There are reprograming kits that boast that you can reinstall the original map, with no traces of it ever being tampered with. Basically saying, if our reprogram blows your motor up, you can make it look original and that way, you can scream at Mercury that they better fix your motor, and we are laughing as we have your money, and have covered our tracks regarding Liability

Can't blame Mercury for doing Due Diligence

Last edited:

muc

This bulletin and the one in the outboard section sound like the John Deere stories about trying to stop farmers from working on computerized farm equipment they own. I haven't seen the bulletins, but from what muc said, this seems to be the case.

No, not that at all. I have friends that farm and I think what JD is doing should be criminal.

It's what jimmbo is saying. And I agree with him on something under warranty. And as one line from the bulletin says.
"Modifying or replacing the ECM with unauthorized parts or untested, unverified calibrations will change the engine’s
emissions reliability and durability performance in ways that cannot possibly be understood by those offering such services." So I can see that the EPA would be interested in any engines that require certification.

The gist of it is.
EPA --- dealers can be fined over $40,000 and owners can be fined over $4,000 per engine,

Copyright Violations ---- Mercury Marine owns the code in the ECM. Infringement can mean up to $30,000 and up to $500,000 for willful. Also talks about up to 10 years in prison,

One other thing is Dealers are asked to report any ECM re calibration to Mercury Marine.

I have heard rumors of it being possible to to recal a non HO into a HO. Might be possible that's what Mercury is looking at.
​​​​​​​Part of scanning a engine with dealer software is to look to see if there is a newer calibration available. My guess is that's when this would show up.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No, not that at all. I have friends that farm and I think what JD is doing should be criminal.

Again EPA certs and regs require the engine to produce certain emission levels and tapering with the ECM Mapping will usually have repercussions of Higher Emissions. Aftermarket reprogramers don't give a damn about the Certs and most don't have the Resources to know how their Mods affect Engine Longevity and/or Reliability. When a Modified JD Engine fails, the owner will conveniently forget/ignore that he modified the operating parameters and will proceed to refer to the JD engine as Junk that couldn't hold up, and then be expecting Warranty. JD and other Engine Makers invested a lot of Time and Money into the new Technology, and as much as I hate seeing a Company made a Profit, they do have to protect their TM and Copyrights

muc

Again EPA certs and regs require the engine to produce certain emission levels and tapering with the ECM Mapping will usually have repercussions of Higher Emissions. Aftermarket reprogramers don't give a damn about the Certs and most don't have the Resources to know how their Mods affect Engine Longevity and/or Reliability. When a Modified JD Engine fails, the owner will conveniently forget/ignore that he modified the operating parameters and will proceed to refer to the JD engine as Junk that couldn't hold up, and then be expecting Warranty. JD and other Engine Makers invested a lot of Time and Money into the new Technology, and as much as I hate seeing a Company made a Profit, they do have to protect their TM and Copyrights

It's not the engine that the farmers are mad about. From what I hear 2nd hand is that any component that's connected to the ECM needs to be programmed to work. From what I understand this can include some of the filters.

muc

update
somebody posted a picture of the bulletin, post #33

Sorry, muc.

That has copyright, confidentiality and Mercury ownership notices. We know you're trying to help, but we have to protect ourselves. As you've said several times - You can't post some information from Mercury and we're in the same boat.

Moderator Staff

Last edited by a moderator: