Running in?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Machining / metallurgy / manufacturing / inspection in the factory is different than it was 60 years ago.-----They say the new Evinrudes do not need any pampering.-----Full throttle right out of the box.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Even my brand new, 2019 pickup truck had a 300 mile break-in requirement. Not saying all engines will require it, but a break-in period is not an antiquated concept.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I don't see it that way .... if there is a valid reason then I will follow it. Modern car engines no longer need running in .... I go easy for first 5000 miles but that is it. Thes new all Aluminium V6 are modified car engines .... so just wonder the logic in running them in. I asked dealer, he advised as part of PDI they run it for an Hr including a full-throttle max revs run. So if that is happening before I get it ... just can't see why my running in would have any impact.
Using it for 22 mph tow sports is hardly stressing it would have thought.

It’s in the manual...would be enough reason for me. You’ve also suggested that perhaps you are staying prolonged at a certain rpm for a long period (inside the run in hours)...that’s about the worst thing you could do.
up to you though.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I might also add that your engine isn’t aluminium and nor would it be considered a modern engine, if you tell us it’s the GM based 4.3. Not that that would have any bearing on the situation we are discussing.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If wanting Long Live the Motor stick with what the motor manufacturer recommends, it's only 10 boaring hours if full throttle is what you like running all the time, would be ideal to change both motor and lower case gear oil after break in period ends unless stated differently.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I don't see it that way .... if there is a valid reason then I will follow it. Modern car engines no longer need running in .... I go easy for first 5000 miles but that is it. Thes new all Aluminium V6 are modified car engines .... so just wonder the logic in running them in. I asked dealer, he advised as part of PDI they run it for an Hr including a full-throttle max revs run. So if that is happening before I get it ... just can't see why my running in would have any impact.
Using it for 22 mph tow sports is hardly stressing it would have thought.

No Engine maker says it is acceptable to Tow during the Break In period(at 22 mph, there is a lot of Hull in the water, so drag is quite High), adding a Skier or Wake Boarder to it does put more load/stress on the engine. It is only 10 hrs, if it costs too much to do that, perhaps you shouldn't be boating. I can't say if Evinrude has restriction on Towing during the first hours.
Many People here have recommended a Break In Period, and some suggestions on How to do it. If the Rings aren't Loaded and Unloaded, they will never wear in and provide the best Seal, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, it is your engine, and you can run it however you want to. I can't speak for Others, but I really don't Care how your treat your Engine, unless in the Future I was looking at buying it.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Just a follow-up..... (boat had to be reordered) the Volvo dealer advised as part of the pdi .... the motor is run at full rpm
It is a Volvo requirement.
Glad I'm not there to witness - to me that seems awful thing to do to a new motor

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Just a follow-up..... (boat had to be reordered) the Volvo dealer advised as part of the pdi .... the motor is run at full rpm
It is a Volvo requirement.
Glad I'm not there to witness - to me that seems awful thing to do to a new motor

Marine technicians are trained to use a special procedure when doing this so as to not damage the engine. If your worried about it ask them to explain how they will do it.

If you are going to use this for water sports (towing is incredibly hard on the engine) I highly recommend that you make sure the dealer props it so you can hit the rev limiter when the boat is at it's lightest. The use of an I/O powered boat for towing causes the engine to lugged when towing so you want a set of props that are at least one pitch lower then a normal runabout.