Running in?

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
For first time ordered a new boat (usually buy with low Hrs)
Do they need running in ?......... modern car engines no longer need any running in, and as the new range of Volvo V6 are based on the General Motors Gen V engine series. (designed initially for the Corvette) is it needed ?
Obviously won't hammer the boat first few times out - but is there a specific running in requirement ?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If its new, the dealer should have gave you the paperwork explaining the Run in for a new motor. I don't have the procedure right in front of me, but usually it's around 10 hours at various rpm's.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, there is a break in period

it is covered in the engines owners manual you will receive with your boat.

and the cars ECM limits power/RPM/fueling for the first few thousand miles on todays cars

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
If its new, the dealer should have gave you the paperwork explaining the Run in for a new motor. I don't have the procedure right in front of me, but usually it's around 10 hours at various rpm's.

Don't have boat yet ... build finishes in 2 weeks ....just wondering how limted my intial use will be. Not after WOT running - we3 use for recretaional tow sports.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
for the first 10 hours

vary the RPM, staying at any RPM for no more than 15 minutes
dont exceed 3/4 throttle
avoid long periods of idling (to get the rings to seat)
monitor engine temp and oil pressure

after the first 10 hours, change oil

then enjoy the water.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
“Don’t exceed 3/4 throttle”
i use full throttle almost every start ... but as soon as rider pops out of water throttle is backed off .... so fully open throttle but motor gets to less than 50% of rpm.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So, for the first 10 hours you go sight seeing and skip the water sports until after the break-in period.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
So, for the first 10 hours you go sight seeing and skip the water sports until after the break-in period.

I’ll have to come up with plan B ... boat is only used for water sports ....
Fuel too expensive to just potter about ( ~$5.75 gal). Boat is used for Hydrofoiling (22mph) Wake boarding (20). Kneeboarding (18). ..... Tubing is lower speed ... can leave off waterskiing (36) for now.

Interesting how you can get into a new car and just drive, no running in ....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you say so..... try going full throttle in a new car.... the rev limiter shuts you off early and the fueling is cut early for the first 1000 miles. been that way since the late 90's

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
if you say so..... try going full throttle in a new car.... the rev limiter shuts you off early and the fueling is cut early for the first 1000 miles. been that way since the late 90's

depends on the car, I've never actually seen on that limits in any way. All the various car mags/reporters would be all over that, as they are often given new vehicles to beat on.

I own 3 vehicles all 2015 or newer, none had any restrictions, but all 3 of them had fairly specific instructions about what to do and not do. My daily driver is a '16 Subaru WRX, and instructions were to keep it under 4k RPM and not use cruise for 1000 miles. I did occasionally exceed that RPM in the break in, hard not to, and it never pulled fuel.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most cars including New ones are usually subjected a variety of speeds in Urban Traffic, almost perfect for Breaking in an Engine. Worst thing for a new engine, is a nice long highway drive
Most Boat/Engine owners manuals recommend not towing during the Break-in

During the 3rd hour. Full Throttle takeoffs, with a reduction in power after planing is acceptable, it does help seat the rings, then polishes the bore.

In the end. it is your Boat, and your decision on how you want to run it, and how long you plan to keep it.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its part of the service schedule that includes the break in.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Autos are run at the factory at the end of the assembly line the motors themselves are run after there built at the factory, There's no dyno at the boat builder

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I can't imagine buying a brand new boat and skimping on the engine break-in to save gas costs...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Autos are run at the factory at the end of the assembly line the motors themselves are run after there built at the factory, There's no dyno at the boat builder

They are run long enough to check for leaks and any obvious faults, then shut down and sent to storage/assembly line

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’ll have to come up with plan B ... boat is only used for water sports ....
Fuel too expensive to just potter about ( ~$5.75 gal). Boat is used for Hydrofoiling (22mph) Wake boarding (20). Kneeboarding (18). ..... Tubing is lower speed ... can leave off waterskiing (36) for now.

Interesting how you can get into a new car and just drive, no running in ....

With the greatest of respect tafflad. You’re being a bit silly now. It’s only 10 hours then decades of fun afterwards.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I don't see it that way .... if there is a valid reason then I will follow it. Modern car engines no longer need running in .... I go easy for first 5000 miles but that is it. Thes new all Aluminium V6 are modified car engines .... so just wonder the logic in running them in. I asked dealer, he advised as part of PDI they run it for an Hr including a full-throttle max revs run. So if that is happening before I get it ... just can't see why my running in would have any impact.
Using it for 22 mph tow sports is hardly stressing it would have thought.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Its your motor, however if you have a blow-by issue, they will look at the ECM hours. A proper break-in is essential