No announcement yet.

Running in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't imagine buying a brand new boat and skimping on the engine break-in to save gas costs...
    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by cptbill View Post
      Autos are run at the factory at the end of the assembly line the motors themselves are run after there built at the factory, There's no dyno at the boat builder

They are run long enough to check for leaks and any obvious faults, then shut down and sent to storage/assembly line

Comment

Originally posted by Tafflad View Post

I’ll have to come up with plan B ... boat is only used for water sports ....
        Fuel too expensive to just potter about ( ~$5.75 gal). Boat is used for Hydrofoiling (22mph) Wake boarding (20). Kneeboarding (18). ..... Tubing is lower speed ... can leave off waterskiing (36) for now.

Interesting how you can get into a new car and just drive, no running in ....
        With the greatest of respect tafflad. You’re being a bit silly now. It’s only 10 hours then decades of fun afterwards.

Comment

I don't see it that way .... if there is a valid reason then I will follow it. Modern car engines no longer need running in .... I go easy for first 5000 miles but that is it. Thes new all Aluminium V6 are modified car engines .... so just wonder the logic in running them in. I asked dealer, he advised as part of PDI they run it for an Hr including a full-throttle max revs run. So if that is happening before I get it ... just can't see why my running in would have any impact.
          Using it for 22 mph tow sports is hardly stressing it would have thought.
          4.9% of the UK population live in Wales, the rest just wish they did.

Comment

Its your motor, however if you have a blow-by issue, they will look at the ECM hours. A proper break-in is essential
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Machining / metallurgy / manufacturing / inspection in the factory is different than it was 60 years ago.-----They say the new Evinrudes do not need any pampering.-----Full throttle right out of the box.

Comment

Even my brand new, 2019 pickup truck had a 300 mile break-in requirement. Not saying all engines will require it, but a break-in period is not an antiquated concept.
                Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by Tafflad View Post
                  I don't see it that way .... if there is a valid reason then I will follow it. Modern car engines no longer need running in .... I go easy for first 5000 miles but that is it. Thes new all Aluminium V6 are modified car engines .... so just wonder the logic in running them in. I asked dealer, he advised as part of PDI they run it for an Hr including a full-throttle max revs run. So if that is happening before I get it ... just can't see why my running in would have any impact.
                  Using it for 22 mph tow sports is hardly stressing it would have thought.
                  It’s in the manual...would be enough reason for me. You’ve also suggested that perhaps you are staying prolonged at a certain rpm for a long period (inside the run in hours)...that’s about the worst thing you could do.
                  up to you though.

Comment

I might also add that your engine isn’t aluminium and nor would it be considered a modern engine, if you tell us it’s the GM based 4.3. Not that that would have any bearing on the situation we are discussing.

Comment

Working...
                    X