Gas tank

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1997 231WAC ProLine.Does anyone know if the elbows for the fuel pickup are welded or screwed into the tank?
I have been spraying them down with penetrating oil next step is to clean them up.They need to come out because one is clogged up and the engine sputters at any rpms above 2500.I have changed filters and rubber fuel line.when it sputters if I shut it down and blow into the fuel line, it runs good for a while.Not the anti siphon valve.The line im blowing into is disconnected from the supply side of the water separating filter and goes to the pickup on the gas tank.whats on the end of the pickup tube,a screen or some type of filter?
Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
some pick up tubes have an internal screen, some have a sock on the end.

Bondo

Staff member
some pick up tubes have an internal screen, some have a sock on the end.

Ayuh,..... 'n many are just a tube, that allows the crud to collect in the fuel filter, like it should,......

Why don't you try a remote tank with fresh clean gasoline hooked directly to the fuel filter,.....

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have changed the fuel pump and filter,and the rubber fuel line from the fuel/water separator.I am sure it’s a restriction in the pickup tube in the tank. Can’t see the elbow on top of the tank good enough to tell if it’s screwed in or welded in.
thanks

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys,thanks for the reply's.I got a little access to them cleaned them up and soaked them with blaster a couple times.Looks like they are screwed in,going to find out today.

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 90 degree elbows where screwed in,got them out and removed the screens on the end of the dip tubes.Everything is good! Thanks for the help 👏