1975 mercruiser 888 questions

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
I think im posting this in the correct place,if not please forgive me and let me know,im still learning how to use the forums. I found a topic about giving the ford 302 888 engine more HP (225 HP) By changing to GT4O Heads, a 4 barrel carb, HO Roller cam with roller lifters, what intake and carb would i use with this setup,does the intake need to be marine and if so what can i use please,and what carb for the 500 CFM that was recommended. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, a marine or a cast iron manifold is recommended.

your block isnt set up for roller cam

a 500 CFM would be more than adequate.

I would just run what you got, and sell it for what you want when you want more.

matt167

Captain
Ford 302 made for a a nice marine engine but it is not supported anymore.. Assuming your exhaust manifolds are good ect.. If you can find a set of GT40's with a cast iron 4bbl manifold cheap enough then just do that if you want a little more. The heads are good for 30-40hp in general. If your motor is in poor shape, you have a Mercruiser so getting Chevy parts to convert it will not be hard to find. Lots of rotted boats to give up what they got, and even a freeze cracked Mercruiser 350 can still supply the bellhousing parts you would need

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
yes, a marine or a cast iron manifold is recommended.

your block isnt set up for roller cam

a 500 CFM would be more than adequate.

I would just run what you got, and sell it for what you want when you want more.

I found all the info here on the forum for the recommended setup,the heads, intake, camshaft etc was all a list of parts need to set it up for the 225 HP instead of 188,if i can find where at on the forum i found it i will let you know. thanks

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
Ford 302 made for a a nice marine engine but it is not supported anymore.. Assuming your exhaust manifolds are good ect.. If you can find a set of GT40's with a cast iron 4bbl manifold cheap enough then just do that if you want a little more. The heads are good for 30-40hp in general. If your motor is in poor shape, you have a Mercruiser so getting Chevy parts to convert it will not be hard to find. Lots of rotted boats to give up what they got, and even a freeze cracked Mercruiser 350 can still supply the bellhousing parts you would need

One side of the engine has 3 or 4 freeze plugs missing, it did spin over though,just checked to see if it was locked up so only spun it over for 2 or 3 seconds, but at least 4 or 5 freeze plugs have fallen out into the bilge. I thought chevy stuff would not bolt up to this set up i have?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
One side of the engine has 3 or 4 freeze plugs missing, it did spin over though,just checked to see if it was locked up so only spun it over for 2 or 3 seconds, but at least 4 or 5 freeze plugs have fallen out into the bilge. I thought chevy stuff would not bolt up to this set up i have?

that means your motor was not properly winterized. they are core plugs, not "freeze" plugs. they are the openings to get the core sand out of the block casting at the foundry.

you need a new flywheel housing to go with a GM motor.

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
So is the Mercruiser 888 worth rebuilding,are parts hard to find for it and is it expensive and worth it or should I go with a GM engine swap,if so can you make a suggestion as to what engine will bolt up without modification that are major. Thanks for your input. This boat has set up for over 10 - 15 years i was told.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Merc dropped the Ford motors about the time yer boat was New,.....

Volvo dropped Ford in 'bout '95,.....

Ford was never Big in the marine industry, so parts are scarce, 'n expensive,.....

'bout the easiest way to go Chevy is with a fully dressed drop-in bobtail motor,.....
The drive won't care, so long as it's a V-8,.....

A rotten donor boat is the cheapest way to do what you want to do,.....
Buy it, Strip it, 'n scrap the rest,......

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
Would an 502APRMED OMC 5.0 302 2 Barrel ford cobra motor bolt in without any issues/ Found one on eBay that runs for $600.

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
So will the 80's volvo penta 5.0 305 225 HP engine work in my boat,I found a nice one for a fair price that has been refurbished for around $2000 with shipping,more than i wanted to spend but if it works i would think that would be an awesome engine to use.

Attachments

• photo318443.jpg
    photo318443.jpg
    914.5 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A Volvo bobtail motor will Not marry up to yer Merc MC-1 drive, No,....

matt167

Captain
there is a 90% chance your block is cracked. there core plugs, not freeze plugs. If you freeze it, they ( block ) will crack.

your cheapest way out is going to be a chevy based Mercruiser setup. your outdrive is ok, you just need a complete engine with manifolds, bellhousing and such. you can find these things in boat boneyards or peoples yards

1975 SRV 193

Cadet
there is a 90% chance your block is cracked. there core plugs, not freeze plugs. If you freeze it, they ( block ) will crack.

your cheapest way out is going to be a chevy based Mercruiser setup. your outdrive is ok, you just need a complete engine with manifolds, bellhousing and such. you can find these things in boat boneyards or peoples yards

I first want to thank everyone who has helped me with all my questions. I want to ask another question, if I decide to go the chevy route,is there a lot of changes and work that has to be done in order for everything to bolt up properly or will the pre alpha stern drive I have bolt up to say...the mercury 5.0 305 chevy engine with no issues and will the inner transom plate etc have to be changed to make this work. You said the bell housing needs to be changed , so what bell housing would i need,one from the same donor engine? Sorry for so many noob questions but i have a lot to learn,which is why i'm here. Thank you guys again for all the help!

Bondo

Staff member
or will the pre alpha stern drive I have bolt up to say...the mercury 5.0 305 chevy engine with no issues and will the inner transom plate etc have to be changed to make this work. You said the bell housing needs to be changed

Ayuh,......For a Merc bobtail motor to just drop in, 'n everything hook up, you need a SBC dressed to run in an MC-1, or from an MC-1 donor boat,......
A SBC from a '81 or newer Alpha 1, the flywheel cover which has the rear motor mounts on it, would need an MC-1 flywheel cover(called a bellhousin' above), as the rear motor mount spacin' changed along that time,....
I'm just not sure exactly when, as the "R", 'n "MR" are in-between the MC-1, 'n the Alpha 1,....
The MC-1s are wide mounts, 'bout 15", 'n the Alpha 1 are narrower, at 'bout 9", where they've been ever since,....

That's why I suggested a Donor boat to scrap out, as you'll get All the bits, 'n pieces necessary to make it all work,....