Lowrance Fuel Flow sensor

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone used the fuel flow sensor from Lowrance? I have a Elite Ti chart plotter and would like another layer of knowledge of fuel usage instead of the gas guage because I found it is not accurate (using the term loosely) unless you stopped in the water.

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/sensors-networking/fuel-flow-sensor-pk/

I have a Merc 5.0L TKS and though I haven't looked yet to see what size fuel line I have, is there a typical standard size? The sensor mentions 3/8 in fuel line barbs.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone used the fuel flow sensor from Lowrance? I have a Elite Ti chart plotter and would like another layer of knowledge of fuel usage instead of the gas guage because I found it is not accurate (using the term loosely) unless you stopped in the water.

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/sensors-networking/fuel-flow-sensor-pk/

I have a Merc 5.0L TKS and though I haven't looked yet to see what size fuel line I have, is there a typical standard size? The sensor mentions 3/8 in fuel line barbs.
Flow sensors require a NMEA2000 to the chart plotter. Doesn’t look like the Elite Ti supports a NMEA 2000 interface

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Flow sensors require a NMEA2000 to the chart plotter. Doesn’t look like the Elite Ti supports a NMEA 2000 interface

I forgot to mention I have the Elite 7 Ti. There is some type of exclusion NMEA 2000 on Lowrance's website about the Elite 5 Ti.

0183 wiring comes as part of the power cable. There is a separate connector for 2000. The manual and the menus on the unit show setup for both networks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I forgot to mention I have the Elite 7 Ti. There is some type of exclusion NMEA 2000 on Lowrance's website about the Elite 5 Ti.

0183 wiring comes as part of the power cable. There is a separate connector for 2000. The manual and the menus on the unit show setup for both networks.

Even so, you’ll need to purchase and install a NMEA 2000 backbone to connect the flow sensor

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even so, you’ll need to purchase and install a NMEA 2000 backbone to connect the flow sensor

But of course....you can't just buy the sensor and plug it in :D
When will the $$$ bleeding stop...oh yeah, probably never, I own a boat.

I believe the flow sensors have to be calibrated as well?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I believe the flow sensors have to be calibrated as well?
I'm running the Garmin GFS-10 sensor which is fuel level/flow sensor

The flow sensor is factory calibrated.

For fluid level, your required enter the current amount of fuel in your tank (estimate) then enter the amount of fuel you put in the tank each time buy gas..

I never remember to enter the amount of fuel. Just use my analog gauges for fuel levels.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

I have a LOWRANCE LMF-200 + fuel flow sender. You can set up the NMEA2000 network with only the gage and sender but you need some extra "stuff" to go with it.

They do seem to work pretty well. I have the fuel flow sender between the tank and filter. With it, I have measured 10 GPH @ 3000RPM (1997 carbureted 7.4L Mercruiser)

Combine it with a GPS source and it will calculate MPG and will calculate (if you program tank capacity and refill gallons etc) miles to empty, gallons used etc.

If you connect other Lowrance NMEA2000 stuff to the network, it will integrate with it all.

Cheers,

Rick

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the info....may have to put this on the "for the next season" project list since I'll have to pull the back of the bench seat out to really get at the fuel line.