Outdrive Gear Ratios

gregfeld1

Recruit
Can someone go into detail about pro's/cons of installing a 1.32 outdrive on my small block. Boat is a 22' formula with a 5.7L engine. Ive seen a million postings about going from 1.32 to 1.47 on big blocks and the dangers posed, but I cannot find any advice on going the opposite direction. Any help would be appreciated!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can someone go into detail about pro's/cons of installing a 1.32 outdrive on my small block. Boat is a 22' formula with a 5.7L engine. Ive seen a million postings about going from 1.32 to 1.47 on big blocks and the dangers posed, but I cannot find any advice on going the opposite direction. Any help would be appreciated!!

the same reason you dont pedal a bike starting out in 10th gear. or try to drive a VW bug in stop-n-go traffic while in 4th gear

you would over-load the small block, causing it to lug...leading to detonation and a hole in each piston.

the 1.32:1 ratio needs the torque of a big-block to spin the prop enough.

the problem is the alpha's then grenaded due to the torque.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

First of all, it might be helpful for you to have a look at the following thread for future questions.....
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...-repair-i-o-and-inboards/473314-faq-for-i-o-s

Also, take a look at:
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/407734-attention-forum-rules-attention

---------------------------------------

There are additional reasons why a higher ratio drive is not used on a small block (read lower torque engine... )

While you *could* probably get it to work by using a lower pitch prop, it would be less efficient.

For most all recreational planing type watercraft, manufacturers have recommended (in general) to always select a prop-pitch that will provide maximum speed (optimum, weight, CG, at sea-level, trim etc) at maximum rated engine RPM. (those same manufacturers already provided the "right" drive ratio)

Propeller manufacturers design props to operate with a rather specific RPM range. (racing props and surface drives, etc excepted)

I.E, there is an RPM upper-limit where any prop will become inefficient......such that above that upper limit, the hydrodynamic drag becomes so great that turning it any faster doesn't give you much more thrust. (this is true for any prop turning in either liquid or air)

Same thing applies with pitch. There's a maximum pitch that either results in an aerodynamic stall in air, or cavitation in water. In air, there's also max RPM that produces prop-tip velocities that can exceed the speed of sound.

In all cases thrust is lost.

The point of all this is that to keep the propeller RPM in the range that is most efficient for the pitch you have and use gears to operate the engine in it's most efficient range.

If you get out of either the optimum range for the engine or the prop, you will lose efficiency.

Get out of the range for both, you lose even more......

The engine, drive and prop designers already "did the math"

Cheers,

Rick