boat wont move!

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
1999 Sea Ray Sundeck 210. I/O Mercruiser. De winterized and used it today. When I try to put the gas all the way down (go flat out) once past no wake and warmed up it barely goes 10 knots. It used to fly! Is it likely a carb issue? I noticed that it now has trouble starting from a warm start. thanks all..

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
What was the engine doing? RPM's? How did it sound? When was it last used? What engine?

My first thought is that not all the holes in your engine had fire in them... Were the plugs pulled as part of winterizing/dewinterizing?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for responding. It’s the Mercury inboard outboard. Makes 220hp. Mercruiser outdrive. Last used in November 2018 when I winterized it. Doesn’t plane at all. Barely goes 10mph at 2800rpm. Plugs not pulled as part of winterzing. Last tuned up fully in June of 2017 professionally. Thx.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... My WAGuess is the fuel filter is fulla crud, 'n water,.......

Pull the filter, 'n Examine it's Contents for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Still haven’t had a chance to do it. Will do it week of July 4th. I’ll certainly report back n

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a new filter, you have tobreplace your warer separating filter every year

Make sure to inspect the contents as bondo mentioned

You may need to rebuild the carb

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Changed the filter and sea tested it yesterday. Seems better, gets up on plane now, however its not as fast as it used to be; WOT is barely 20 MPH and I could swear I’d get it to 30 MPH. Is it the carb? I am running Sea Foam through it so that might help? I think it was some old gas, that could have done it, despite having been conditioned.

kenny nunez

Captain
What about the filter at the carburetor inlet? Have you checked that one? There also should be a filter in the tank at the end of the suction tubing and sometimes inside the suction tubing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
how old was the gas 7 months ago when you put it away for the winter?

gasoline with ethanol in it has a max life of 6 months from the time it is distilled until it becomes non-gas (although Sonoco claims you can get a year with a proper sealed container and cool temps)

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. The gas was put in last summer but was conditioned with stabil when I put it away. I am not sure I have a carb fuel filter and a tank filter but will check today. If you guys have pictures of those, or more information, please let me know. Thx.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
stabil will extend fuel for a few months..... you may want to try running the motor on a separate tank of fresh fuel

kenny nunez

Captain
The carburetor filter is about 1” long and is probably paper, there is a small spring that holds it toward fuel inlet nut. Be sure the hole In the filter faces toward the inlet nut. You need to hold the nut with a 1” wrench while loosening the flare nut with a 5/8” flare nut wrench so the fitting does not “round off”.
The anti siphoning valve at the fuel tank should be made of brass. If it is aluminum that also can cause fuel restriction. To inspect the suction tube it has to be removed from the tank.
Try the carburetor filter first, that may be the only problem.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I am still having serious issues getting the boat to move. I looked for the filter at the carb, but cant find it. I took some pictures of the carb and the fuel water separator. Do you see it? Thanks... I think next step is to pull the carb and rebuild it on the bench. Any advice there?

Attachments

• photo316487.jpg
    photo316487.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316488.jpg
    photo316488.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316489.jpg
    photo316489.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316490.jpg
    photo316490.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Actually, scratch the question. I found a picture of the carb filter. What’s the likelihood just replacing that will be enough? Thanks.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Swapped out the tiny carb fuel line filter. Old one looked fine. What would it look like if it were bad? The fuel line enters the fuel tank via an aluminum(?) fitting. Is there a filter there as well? Should I remove it and clean it as well I’ll see how it runs Saturday. I want to pull the carb and have it rebuilt but no one will do it locally- is there a mail-away service?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Another question- if I use it with this issue as I try to figure out how to fix it, will that ruin the boat? I will go slow, obviously. Thanks.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
UPDATE- cant get it above 10 knots now. When I put the earmuffs on it, on land, I can get the RPM to 6,000 easily. Is it something else; I notice the boat does shake a bit, but the engine doesn't sputter and starts OK. Any ideas? Thanks...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Guessing the motor is a 5.0 or a 5.7 so first thing is a proper compression test, then a leakdown test