Close the fuel tap and sea **** after shutting down?

sargo

Recruit
I recently got a new boat with dual Volvo Penta D6s and in the operators manual for their D4/D6 engines, on page 81, it gives the procedure for engine shutdown which says in part:

* Close the fuel tap

* Close the sea ****

When the dealer tested the boat he did not do either of these things, so I am unsure where these controls are. I could find no fuel tap and both engines have two large hoses that have shutoffs near the engines, but the hoses both go into places where there is no easy access to a sea ****.

What is the reason for these instructions?

mr 88

Commander
Overkill on safety would be my guess and maybe take them off the hook in case of any litigation. If I did that to my boat ,close all the seacocks and shut off all the fuel valves ,then turn them on when ready to use it would add a 1/2 hour to my boat prep . Do not know anyone that does this.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never close my fuel valves but the seacock is closed when slipped. Not worth the risk for a 30 second task.

Now if I could remember I closed the seacock before trying to use the washdown the next morning wondering why it doesn’t work

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
We have 2 boats that are either on a mooring or in a marina berth,
twin mercruisers and a diesel,
we shut off the seacocks on both, just in case a hose fails,
it is part of the " shut down procedure " at the end of the day,
we have a checklist on the door,

we also have a inboard trailer boat that the seacock is turned off if the boat is used overnight,

my sons work in marine agriculture and they also turn off seacocks and fuel taps on their 400k work boats at the end off their shift,