Theoretically, would I flood the boat?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My '04 Rinker has a Mercruiser 350 Mag with a B3. It has the single point drain with the drain plug way down in the lower right front corner of the engine. I started my boat in the driveway on the muffs. I quickly realized the bilge was filling with water because I had forgotten to put that drain plug back in. I turned it off, stopped the hose, put in the plug and now all is good. But, a lot of water ran in the bilge pretty quick. It got me to thinking:
If I had launched the boat that way and realized the problem on the water what would have happened? If I had stopped the engine would water have continued to come in thru the raw water pump even with it not turning? Or would the stopped pump have mostly stopped the water flow? I'd like to hope my bilge pump would keep up with it but i don't know.
If I would have not had the plug on hand and had to run the boat back to the ramp it may have gotten ugly.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can tell you from first hand experience that your bilge pump will not keep up.

I was 5 miles out and 10 miles down range when I first noticed something was wrong. Had to keep bumping throttle to stay on plane.

Water was flush with the deck in the engine compartment. Starter and oil pan under water. Shorted out the bilge pump.

Left boat running and locked steering wheel wheel in circle. Cut the top off a 1 gallon plastic jug to make a bail.

One panic and 30 minutes later I was back in business.

Oh, did I tell you this was December 15.....not a boat to be found in any direction

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So your 1 gallon jug bailing was able to get ahead of the water coming out the drain even with the engine running? That's good to know. I take it you had the plug on hand to reinstall?

Bondo

Staff member
I'd like to hope my bilge pump would keep up with it but i don't know.

Ayuh,..... In my ole leaky tin fishing barge, I ran 2, 1000 or 1500 gpm bilge pumps, a primary, 'n 2ndary,.....

In the glass boats I'm puttin' together now, will also have 2 bilge pump systems, independent of each other, because I can,....

Runnin' the motor with the drain plugs out could flood yer boat, much like not puttin' the hull drain plug in, at the boat launch,.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So your 1 gallon jug bailing was able to get ahead of the water coming out the drain even with the engine running? That's good to know. I take it you had the plug on hand to reinstall?
The motor had petcocks. It was just a matter of closing them.

Burnt my hand pretty good getting it closed.

No way the gallon jug would have keep up. If worst came to worst, I would had shut the boat down to stop the flow of water. Doubt I would have got it started again with the starter under water

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
My '04 Rinker has a Mercruiser 350 Mag with a B3.
I only do "seasonal" boating with my 88 Four Winns Liberator (97 7.4L BravoIII inside)

Before I even take it to the lake, I ALWAYS start it up on the trailer (with flush adapter ) at home and look the engine compartment over very closely to look for coolant, oil or other leaks!

I don't drain anything (closed cooling) but I can still have leaks that I wouldn't want to deal with on a lake away from home, tools, etc.

I also have a transom drain but it's the check-ball type so it wouldn't allow much water in (if any)........... even if I did leave the drain plug out. I do make sure the bilge is clean and free of debris that could hold that check ball off the seat and leak if the plug was not installed.

Oh, and also, 3 or 4 years ago, I had the cheap plastic Bravo raw water pump housing literally CRACK open , spewing water into the bilge!

Maneuvering the boat up to the launch ramp to put it on the trailer, I noticed my auto-bilge pump pumping water out of the bilge!

I eliminated that problem by installing a Hardin Marine stainless steel Bravo raw water pump housing!!

73/Rick

Last edited: