MERC vs Volvo Penta

Dabend12

Recruit
Hi, I am buying a 2012/2014 Chaparral 327ssx. And there are 2 I’m deciding between. One has Volvo Penta engine and the other has Mercruiser. Both have joystick? Should I go with the Mercruiser or Volvopenta?

Dabend12

Recruit
Mercruiser be Volvo Penta engines

Hi, I am buying a Chaparral 327ssx. And there are 2 I’m deciding between. One has Volvo Penta engine and the other has Mercruiser. Both have joystick? Should I go with the Mercruiser or Volvopenta?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
What size engines?

muc

Volvo impellers are much easier to replace.
What size engines?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Vp drives have been better engineered in my experience but had many of both over the years. Prefer merc these days for cheaper parts and especially the alpha over the previous vp dp drive. I’ve no doubt the dp is a better drive, but I could buy a new Alpha for the price of fixing a dp.

muc

Thank you everyone. The 2014 is a merc that was in dry storage in Florida with twin 300’s. And the 2012 was in a slip in MA and has Volvo 320’s.

OK thanks.
I can't be 100% sure because I don't know if the engines are the same year as the boat, but I'm guessing both are 5.7L GM engines with catalytic converters. If so they both have their pluses and minuses. They really come out pretty much even. Unless the merc has Alpha drives --- they are bad in this application. Edit that, saw joystick-- that will be Bravo3

My advice to you is to get the serial numbers for all 4 engines and have your marina run them through MercNet and Volvo Partner Network (assuming your marina is a dealer for both, not that they just service both) to see if any of these engines were "problem child's"

I wouldn't worry to much about Volvo vs MerCruiser if they are both 5.7 liter GM engines. Look at the boat condition and options more.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If either one was used in salt water a lot, be aware that replacing the exhaust (not sure if on the cat converter models this has to be done as often as on non cat converter models) IS VERY EXPENSIVE! So much so, that it totally turned me off inboards. I originally resisted modern outboards due to the cost of certain repairs and repowers, but just for info, go on the V/P parts site and just see how much it costs to replace the cat converter exhaust. It is shockingly expensive. I don't think Merc's is as expensive but you might want to check into this, if both spend their lives in salt water. Just for comparison, to change an old style Volvo center riser system is about $750 in parts per engine. The last time I checked the cat converter exhaust for V/P was 2500-2800 PER SIDE.
Here in salt water land I would not get inboards with cat exhaust. I would gladly pay for outboards and enjoy less headaches in salt water. I/Os were tolerable when the repairs were cheaper parts were cheaper and the engines were simple GM marine engines, that has changed significantly,

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Merc uses clutch dogs in the Alpha, and Cone Clutches in the Bravo. VP uses Cones in everything. The VP gearcase is a bit larger than the Alpha case. Though the VP doesn't have the Raw Water pump in the outdrive, it isn't always easy to get at. You might have to cut a hole in the boat to get at it, or pull the engine, depending on how the boat is laid out.

I have used a VP SX for the last 17 years, and except for a Propshaft, it has been issue free. The Propshaft had to be replaced, not because of Defect, but because of an argument between some rocks and a Stainless Steel Prop. My engine is carbed ans uses a Mechanical Advance distributor, but has never been less than an almost instant start. Easy to troubleshoot and fix, compared to those EFI models