Spring of 2019...... lets see how many cracked blocks this year

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This past winter was brutal.

areas that normally are immune to freezing temperatures did see freezing temps

so far, I have noticed 4 water in oil threads.

my guess is between now and mid may, we will get a bunch more.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... No doubt yer Right,.......

Pretty early up here, Ice just went out last week,.....

I seen maybe 1/2 dozen little fishin' boats out front so far,.....

Coast Guard just started puttin' in the various buoys this mornin',.....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Still too cold to put water back in the boat yet, I've learned my lessons over the years! Far too many emergency trips to throw a 60 watt light bulb in the engine compartment. (nighttime low has one day of 32 degrees in the next week, but that could dip 10 degrees pretty easily. I'm ok at 30 degrees, I get nervous in the low 20's overnight.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
In the north east at least here in Long Island we had a mild winter, with little snow, maybe it snowed 2x usually we get much more. Coldest we seemed to get was about 20 degrees, whereas in the past we have seen zero or close to it. I always drained and back filled with no tox AF, this year I used Sierra PG antifreeze mixed 50/50 which is a good deal cheaper than the -100 stuff I usually use.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
End of last season was first time I had someone else do that for any of our boats - hope it's OK. Should be, the marina its stored at did it, hopefully they did it right, if not I know right where the receipt is:drum:. I can probably trust them, but I do think about it from time-to-time

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there were freezing temps as low as TX, LA, AL, and FL. places where people normally dont think about it.... will find out.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
No cracked block here. First time owning an I/O and did the winterization myself.
However, those little blue plugs are important. There was a warm snap and I brought the boat out of winterization and went for a run. Later in the week temps were dropping to just below freezing so I drained the block. Another warm snap hit and I dropped the boat in the water and started it up. I went to park the trailer while the family loaded up in the boat. I came back and the wife said water was coming out the side of the boat. I was sure I put the bilge drain plug in. Opened up the engine and water was spraying everywhere and there were those cute little blue plugs staring at me saying "you idiot, you forgot something". :facepalm::facepalm:
I killed the engine, put the plugs in and rest is history.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so far this year a few 3.0's, many 4.3's a few 5.0's and a few 5.7's

Im surprised people are waiting until June to first pull the boat out.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
In my neck of the woods, severe flooding on the Mississippi and Illinois rivers has prevented any boating. My boat hasn't touched water or been fired up yet. Unprecedented...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most of my home state of WI has flooding. Lake michigan is higher than it has been setting level records. most of the coastal and river cities are dealing with flooding as water is backing up the rivers and going over flood walls.

Bondo

Staff member
Most of my home state of WI has flooding. Lake michigan is higher than it has been setting level records. most of the coastal and river cities are dealing with flooding as water is backing up the rivers and going over flood walls.

Ayuh,..... 34" above where it should be right now here,......

Both of my docks are underwater, as well as nearly knee deep next-door in down stairs of the summer house,.....

I've got Two runnin' boats sittin' on wagons in the driveway at the shop,.....