Question for midwesterners - when do you summerize your boat?

kaulbr

Seaman
I live in Wisconsin and am less than a year into boat ownership. My boat was winterized and stored by a shop and I'm wondering when people typically get their boat out of storage and summerize it. I'm already thinking about it and the shop is asking me to pick a date. Want it out as early as possible but of course don't want to risk freezing temps either. Just curious when others in this area consider it safe. FWIW - once I get it out of storage I keep it in my attached (not heated) garage.

harringtondav

Commander
I "summarize" mine when I winterize it. I've got an I/O, so once I've drained everything I button it back up. Drive lube and engine oil are changed and ready to go. I remove the battery and store it indoors, and hook it back up in the spring.

My river neighbor pays the marina to "recommission" his boat. I've told him politely as possible (him a big fella) that he's getting bent over. The only thing a properly winterized boat needs in the spring is all drains, hoses, sea cocks closed (immediately following winterization is OK) a fully charged battery and the bilge plug in it's hole. Sorry, but I believe "summerization" is a scam.

Dip your boat in the water after the chance of freezing overnight temps has passed. Mid-late April is good down here in IA.

Alumarine

Captain
I "summarize" mine when I winterize it. I've got an I/O, so once I've drained everything I button it back up. Drive lube and engine oil are changed and ready to go. I remove the battery and store it indoors, and hook it back up in the spring..
I do the exact same thing. Once I hook the battery up again in mid April I consider it fully "summarized"

harringtondav

Commander
kaulbr If you have basic mechanical skills and a few basic tools, you can join the DIY tribe and start saving serious $$ by avoiding expen$ive shop charges for basic and annual maintenance. Post your boat's engine and outdrive year and model. I, or someone else will be glad to step you through engine winterization.

This link is from this Forum's sage guru on the topic. Don't let it scare you away. The basics for freeze proofing your engine are in the process.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...183345-how-to-winterize-your-engine-and-drive

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't start my boat (that would put water back in the engine) until April 15th. When I first had a boat I would always get excited the first time it got to be 65 degrees and I drag out the hose and fire it up. Then, in a few weeks the temps would dip again and I'd be out there with a light under the engine to make sure it didn't freeze. Some older wiser boating friends told me to wait until April 15th. I've done that ever since and we have never had freezing temps after that date.
I'm sure it's much warmer here in VA than in WI so if I were you I'd wait until later than April 15th up there.

kaulbr

Seaman
kaulbr If you have basic mechanical skills and a few basic tools, you can join the DIY tribe and start saving serious $$ by avoiding expen$ive shop charges for basic and annual maintenance. Post your boat's engine and outdrive year and model. I, or someone else will be glad to step you through engine winterization.

This link is from this Forum's sage guru on the topic. Don't let it scare you away. The basics for freeze proofing your engine are in the process.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...183345-how-to-winterize-your-engine-and-drive

I paid $450 to have my boat winterized and have the oil changed so yeah, I'd definitely be interested in learning how to do it myself. Every video I've watched though does it differently and then people debate in the comments so I'm just not sure where to get the best info. Don't want to make an expensive mistake. I have a 2015 Four Winns H190 with a 4.3L Merc. Alpha One. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

harringtondav

Commander
I paid $450 to have my boat winterized and have the oil changed so yeah, I'd definitely be interested in learning how to do it myself.

They say ii takes money to make (or save) money. The links below are for you engine and outdrive Merc service manuals. $167.23 for both. 4.5 month pay back on your investment, not including any "summarization" charges. If I came up with a project like this when I was working, I'd get a plaque and free dinner.

You don't need any special tools to do what the dealer does, assuming he actually pulls your outdrive for inspection. A pair of flush muffs, a lube pump, and a simple engine oil extraction pump, and a torque wrench to reinstall the outdrive. Start with winterizing your engine and changing your drive lube and engine oil.

As you gain confidence, you really should pull your outdrive every two years to inspect your gimbal gearing and check for water entry in the drive shaft bellows.

If you are unsure or have questions, post them on iBoats Mercury MerCrruiser Sterndrives & Engines. There is a bottomless pit of expertise here.

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/864261-sm-mc-v6-2001-up
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m0065951-sm-alpha-gen-ii

Bondo

Staff member
- when do you summerize your boat ?

I live in Wisconsin

Ayuh,..... I'm on the downhill end of the sweetwater seas,....
'bout the same climate as you, only it snows more here,....

Anytime After the last hard frost is the day I like to summerize,.......

Tough to call on a calendar, but very late April, for a trailer queen,.......
I shoot for April 1, for my moored boat, as trout season opens then,....... if the ice has gone out,..... :rolleyes:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When I start mine up for the first time I usually will drain it if there is any hint of colder weather coming. It can happen here even after April 15 or so. Drain only takes about a half hr and then you don't have to think about it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Rarely before mid-May. We’re fair weather boaters and besides, the Mississippi and the Illinois rivers often flood in the Spring, so many boat ramps don’t have their docks in the water anyway.

harringtondav

Commander
and besides, the Mississippi and the Illinois rivers often flood in the Spring, so many boat ramps don’t have their docks in the water anyway.

True, and sad. We're at mile 574. In the eight summers we've owned our place I've had to wait until July four times to put our rail boat lift back in. Last year it was late July, and another surge made me remove it in early Sept. It was hardly worth changing the O/D lube and engine oil.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Interesting. Here in the salt pond we have different challenges, but they are more or less predictable. Corrosion, new exhaust every 5-7 years, outdrives need yearly maintenance. But water levels are never low or high other than the predictable tidal swings. Every 12 hrs you have a high tide, high to low is separated by about 6 hrs and each day the high tide comes later by about an hr or so than the day before. Water depths change 6-8 feet from high to low. This you have to keep in mind when mooring (drive up if your spot is less than about 10 feet at high tide) or going into shallow regions. I try to get mooing spots that are at least 12-15 feet deep at high tide so I can leave the drive down. Keep the bellows relaxed and all the anodes in the water.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I had 2 years in a row where I dunked the boat too early, and had emergency trips to throw a lightbulb in the engine compartment when the weather decided to dip to low 20's at night. Now I'm a little more cautious, but I'll also open the drains on my I/O if it gets wet before June.

As others have said, learn how to service the boat yourself and it isn't a big deal. You didn't specify, but if you have an outboard, you really don't need to worry about any of this! Just go boating.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You all making me feel quilty....lol

35 days away from splash date.
Self draining....no worries

Spring Trophy Season starts April 20