Aquasport 22-2 INBOARD needs crate engine

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure that your cap is wired correctly then.

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
Yep, did that, too. I tested and saw spark on all cylinders awhile ago ... now I think I'll have to start over and check them again. If the dizzy is getting power it should fire the plugs. I installed 2 new batteries; the replaced ones seemed to be losing their charge which didn't help matters; I was getting a voltage drop from 12.6v down to 6.5v when cranking. Now at least it's dropping to 10v, which is okay.
Now I'm going to dive into the cap to double check the rotor and tabs and the button for contact again. Then I'll pull the dizzy and set TDC again and reinstall to make sure the rotor is facing #1. This is my plan, sound good to you?

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
... The issue with power going to the distributor when the key is off has me concerned and could be part of the overall problem. The Volt Meter shows 6v going to the dizzy when the battery switch only is on, then shows the expected 12.6v when the key is turned on. This doesn't sound right. Wouldn't that be very hard on the coils and ignition module -- as well as be a draw on the battery?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Timing mystery. TDC (for sure), drop dizzy, mesh with cam gear, rotor pointing at #1 cylinder. This location is where #1 plug wire post goes since the dizzy is meshed with the cam gear. Rotate engine by hand, rotor turning, then dizzy drops into oil pump slot. Install cap so that the #1 wire dizzy post is facing the original #1 plug area. Should start, right? Nope, starter turns over hard and slowly. Adjust timing at dizzy with far advance, then far retard, and engine cranks faster with it retarded, but still acting like timing is way off. I've done this many times and never had this result. It acts like it might be 180° out or close to it. I sincerely need your expert advice. Larry

this indicates that what you think is #1 cylinder may not be wired to #1, or you checked TDC on top of the exhaust stroke and not compression stroke

either your cap is wired wrong or your stabbed in 180 degrees out

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
A lot has been coming together since I replaced the two batteries. Cranking was stronger and faster, but still not close to being ideal. Even though the original batteries showed 12.5v on the meter -- giving me a false sense of being okay -- it looks like under load they could barely turn the engine over. And this was compounded by incorrect timing. But getting the power to the starter problem solved, hope was renewed.

I yanked the dizzy and reset the timing methodically. Lowered the dizzy, the gears meshed, and the rotor was pointing directly where I wanted #1 to fire. I double checked the cap, rotor, wires, and retested the battery voltage, then buttoned everything up ... all systems go. Cranked away and again, no fire. I've been struggling with this thing every day for more than six weeks, and it seems that things only kept getting worse, not better. It would start sometimes but run awfully ... like it was firing on maybe 4 cylinders. Finally getting spark to all 8 was a victory in itself.

I pulled the distributor (what else could it be at this point) and installed my original DUI HEI that I suspected had internal problems early on. But first, I wanted a fresh assurance the timing would be absolutely correct -- rather than simply trying to drop the DUI into place and duplicate the position of the removed dizzy -- I set TDC again (!) and then lowered it in and got the cap and rotor it spot on.

It started. It was running rough, but it started. I adjusted the timing by hand and got it to smooth out a bit, but still real rough. I took it up to 1500-2000 RPMs for awhile and it began to clear up but struggling. Once it warmed up, I expected it to get better, but it didn't. I checked the carb and found the choke closed. It is electric, but it was not wired up. I opened it some and the engine gained RPMs and sounded much better. It idles pretty good now but it still needs tweaking.

I'll trailer it to the ramp tomorrow and give it a good test run and blow off some carbon from the "new" plugs.

Thank you guys for helping me ...so generous. It's been a long trip down this mechanical tunnel, but now I can see the light!

Larry