Looking For Feedback On Gore 100% GFO Packing

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
The propeller shaft stuffing boxes are in need of new packing on a boat I recently purchased.

I was wondering if anyone has been using the Gore GFO packing material that is manufactured by one of there approved weavers with the 100% GFO fiber (Same company that makes Gortex). This packing is widely used in industry for pump shaft packing and has also been approved for marine use. There are a lot of look alike products that may have some Gore filament with other components like PTFE and graphite. At this point I am only interested in feedback on the 100% GFO packing made by an approved weaver. It has been around for a while but not widely marketed.

Thanks for any replies.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Don’t know about approved weaver. But this packing was heavily pushed to those of us in the business at the trade shows many years ago. We tried it out in a few boats and found it too expensive for the results. Not the material cost but the labor cost. If I remember right, it was very difficult to get adjusted right. It was much less forgiving than flax packing if it was too tight and scored the shaft quickly.

Ended up being a lot like the Globe impellers, sounds to good to be true and didn’t live up to the hype.

Waxed flax lasts 5-10 years in my area when adjusted right —— 1 to 2 drops per minute, in forward gear, at idle, unrestrained from the dock. Yes it does make a difference if the boat is free to move.

As a DYI boat owner it might work ok for you because you can spend the time to get it adjusted right. But if your looking for a dry bilge, the only thing I have ever found is a good set of shaft seals. I recommend the P.S.S. brand. We have had very good luck with them and they will work on shafts that are slightly scored.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We have tried a few different packing materials in the last 10 years. Haven't tried that one, but after starting with the graphite type, switched to the flax Teflon type, wich I personally didn't like much, we went back to the graphite type as Abyc standards changed and decided the graphite was better than any they tested. Abyc originally did not like graphite as it could carry an electrical bonding issue, but testing did not show any issue. And in my opinion works better than other things we used.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the replies. The list of approved weavers is listed on Gore's website for anyone interested. The packing must be made with 100% GFO and also woven to Gore's standards, to carry the 100% GFO trademark printed on it.
The large marine supply houses are carrying a look alike product that I assume is made overseas judging from the name. It may be just as good, but I think I'll stick with the 100% GFO made in USA product.
I would like a dripless system but it's a new (used) boat for me, with a long list of things that need my attention (and money), so I'll use what's there.
I think if I take my time it should work out OK. Reading through old posts, the biggest mistakes were over tightening the nut on initial install. They have added a little silicone to act as a breaking fluid now. I don't know if they did that when it was first introduced.