Outdrive storage position if using mobile shrink wrap and trailering after?

littleape

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've read it's better to store the outdrive in down position during winter storage months. I'm having my boat shrink wrapped tomorrow on my driveway and after I'm taking it to storage location. I won't be able to adjust the trim after it's wrapped so whatever its set to on my driveway will be the final position.

What do you guys do in this situation? I guess I could disconnect the trim when it's at the storage and add some support on the ground so the drive rests without squashing everything in the bellows region.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
So I've read it's better to store the outdrive in down position during winter storage months. I'm having my boat shrink wrapped tomorrow on my driveway and after I'm taking it to storage location. I won't be able to adjust the trim after it's wrapped so whatever its set to on my driveway will be the final position.

What do you guys do in this situation? I guess I could disconnect the trim when it's at the storage and add some support on the ground so the drive rests without squashing everything in the bellows region.

Disconnecting the drive works. Or you can have a door installed when they shrink wrap, and access the interior all year. Just keep the door for use next year.

harringtondav

Commander
The recommendation is to remove your out drive annually to inspect the U joints, gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. So you could remove it and store it in your garage before you shrink wrap. Do the inspections before the wrap, or when you recommission the boat in the spring.

I believe the recommendation to store the drive trimmed down is to allow the bellows to rest in their operating position. In very cold areas keeping them stretched up, particularly the exhaust bellows, can shorten their life.

thumpar

Admiral
When I had looked at shrink wrapping the good ones put a door in. I would probably just remove the drive. I have done that before for storage. Cheaper if you pay by the foot too. If you just need to get the drive down you can remove the pin on the rams.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
If it were me, I'd just disconnect the rams. You really don't want the battery connected over winter, and depending on your boat layout, you might not be able to get to the battery after shrinkwrapping, even if you have a door installed. (need to open the engine hatch?)

Other solution would be to install a set of temporary wires from the trim motor pump to outside the boat. Hold them to a temporary battery outside the boat one way to raise, flip polarity to drop it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'll play the other side of the fence... have stored my boat for 10 years at a barn 12 miles from the house, do all my winterizing and remove the battery, leave the drive full up when in storage. Never had an issue nor undue bellows failure.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Gee, just have the "wrapper" put in a door. Costs me $40. for the guy to add one, or I can buy one for $20. and install it myself. I remove and reuse it the next winter. Mine last 2-3 years before the zipper gives out. I can get on and off the boat anytime I think of a reason to go aboard.

My .02

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I just put my winter cover on yesterday. Takes about 1/2 hr to put up the frame then I drag the cover up and over it. Been using this about 12 years or so, I guess I've saved a bit of money not shrinking it every year.
Usually I do pull the drive for winter, the advantage of this cover is I can open it up and turn on the batts to lift or lower it if need be in the event that I did not pull it for whatever reason. Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	129.9 KB ID:	10684819Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	10684820