Bellows replacement questions

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've tried searching the internet and forums to answer some questions about replacing the bellows (exhaust, drive, shift).
I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse to understand what it takes for the repair.

- Can the 3 bellows be replaced without taking the bell housing off?

- Bellows adhesive plus the clamps is used on the transom side for all 3? Correct?

- For the exhaust bellows, is adhesive needed on the bell housing side or just the clamp is enough? I see that an expander tool is available to help get the exhaust bellows installed on the bell housing.

- For the drive bellows, I've read that there is a groove that the bellows sits in. Is this in the transom side or the bell housing side?

- How does the drive bellows attach to the bell housing? I see that there is a ring that has to be inserted. Is this just a compression type mechanism to hold the bellow in place? Just trying to understand how it all stays in place.

Thanks.

harringtondav

Commander
1) The bell hsg. must be removed. To replace the shift cable bellows the lower shift cable must be detached from the shift plate and pulled out the gimbal plate at the transom. Then threaded back through the new cable bellows and the gimbal plate into the engine bay. It's possible(?) to R&R the other two with the bell hsg attached, but I believe it is a longer, harder road.

2) Adhesive and clamps on the gimbal plate for all three.

3) Exhaust bellows adhesive is recommended for both ends. This bellows is stretched the most, and loves to slip off if not secured properly. I can't imagine replacing the exhaust bellows w/o the expander tool. But you will have to remove the upper shift shaft roller/foot from the bell hsg to use it.

4) Bell hsg side

5) The rear end of the drive shaft bellows has a circular bead that fits inside of the bell hsg bore in a corresponding groove. A metal retaining ring is driven in from the rear of the bell hsg to expand the bellows and bead into that groove.

Check out Don S's stickies at the top of the Mercruiser Sterndrive forum. I believe he has the how-to on this.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the clarification. At times it didn't seem clear if the bell housing needed to be removed for the exhaust and drive bellows. It was obvious for the shift cable.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
"
Check out Don S's stickies at the top of the Mercruiser Sterndrive forum. I believe he has the how-to on this." I've been looking for this how to....cant seem to locate it.