I/O Max HP?

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
I've been thinking about repowering my boat. The coast guard tag has a max weight capacity, but not HP. Do I/O boats typically not have a rating because of the way the motor interacts with the transom?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no ratings on I/O's you could theoretically have 3000hp in a 10' boat as long as its an I/O and the motor weighs less than the capacity of the boat.

only outboard motors have a capacity tag because the transom loading on an outboard is up to 5x that of the same HP I/O (dependent on leg length)

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
That's what I was there thinking. I was kind of considering hot rodding my boat as long as I'm going through the work of replacing. Why go with V6 when a V8 is only 100# more? Then, why go with a 5.0 when a 5.7 is about the same. I don't do enough cruising to be worried about gas efficiency. Space is and mount locations are probably my biggest hurdle at this point.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
go with aluminum heads, intake and aluminum exhaust manifolds and it weighs less than the 4.3. then while at it, build a 6.2 for the same money as building a 5.7

you need 4" more of engine space and the mounts move about 4.5" forward

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
I like the way you think! You should know that I currently have a 3.0 VP. I can hit about 38 on the GPS and it's boring me. I was thinking something V8 possibly with through hull exhaust to scare the neighbors.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
BTW, you will need a complete new outdrive too

cheaper to sell your boat and buy what you want vs re-powering the way you want.

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
Aware of the outdrive. I've got a lead on a possible donor. I am also well aware that I will never see this money again. Maybe can recoup a little by selling my engine and outdrive. Tinkering with this thing has become more of a hobby to me. It's more of an investment into my leisure/sanity time. I don't really want a new or different boat.

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
I've also been searching the web pretty hard for some kind of diagram or layout for the mount locations or dimensions of the various VP engines. Does anyone know a good resource?