Merc 5.0L TKS engine size

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a 2005 Chap 204SSi with a 2009 Merc 5.0L TKS. Like any new toy, I spent the morning sticking my head in every creves of the boat to become familiar with it.

I have an interesting question about the size of a 5.0L merc. When I look at parts lists and search by engine, I get selections for 5.0L (305 CID), but on my actual engine, the label on the flame arrestor says 5.0L (350 CID).

Which part of the label has the typo? 5.0 or 350 CID? The label doesn't have the serial # on it, so I still have to look at the other spots on the engine where I have read where to find the number.

Do I have an engine label that's worth a million dollars because it has a typo? :laugh:

tpenfield

Staff member
Sure seems like a typo, but the serial number will be the deciding piece of data.

Bondo

Staff member
so I still have to look at the other spots on the engine where I have read where to find the number.

Ayuh,..... Should be an aluminum tag back/ down by the starter, riveted to the block,......

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found the serial #....hope I never have to replace the starter motor.

The number is 1A347153. I went to Mecury's online parts catalog and do a search for the serial # and it comes back with two results, 1 being the 5.0 Carb Alpha/Bravo and the other being the 5.7 Carb Alpha/Bravo. It also lists the same model # for both engines 4M11225UU.

I also ran the serial # on another parts website and it comes back with a description of 5.0/5.7 Carb Alpha/Bravo with an engine model # 4M11025TT.

If I google either model number, results come back with "5.0L/5.7L"

Are there any other things to look at to determine if the engine is a 305 or 350?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... On the aft flange of the block, behind, 'n under the distributor, there are the castin' numbers, 'n possibly the displacement,....

The flat-side of the lower block, portside is also a spot with various cast numbers,.....

'n on the top starboard forward corner of the deck, just ahead of the head, are usually stamped in code numbers,....

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,..... On the aft flange of the block, behind, 'n under the distributor, there are the castin' numbers, 'n possibly the displacement,....

The flat-side of the lower block, portside is also a spot with various cast numbers,.....

'n on the top starboard forward corner of the deck, just ahead of the head, are usually stamped in code numbers,....

Thanks Bondo.

It's a 305. The casting on the aft was hidden under a harness. Also found the casting # for the intake manifold and it comes back as a 5.0L manifold.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If it’s an alpha drive look at the gear ratio. As far as I know the 5.0 carb didn’t come in 1.47. Only the 5.0 mpi. If it’s a 1.47 it will be the 5.7. If it’s not it will be the 5.0. Most likely anyway.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the decal has a typo. its been discussed before.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's on the block. Making it a remote filter is on the wish list.

Fun Times

Staff member
There would be 2 options of what EO may mean as there are a bunch of abbreviations to each engine model/design but there isn't any known list that I was aware of for these abbreviations.

"A" could mean Alpha Stern Drive but if it meant something different I can't seem to locate it for you....That mentioned I did see some "B"'s under the Bravo stern Drive too helping the "A" theory.

"EO" looks to mean Engine mounted Oil filter because there are also some other similar models that show "A" "RO". Remote Oil.

The other option EO may have meant is Engine Only as there are a lot that showed Engine Only but they tended to spell it out more so vs just marking EO making me believe it to be about the Oil filter location....Even Though you still may have an Engine Only new from Merc in 2009 being a "replacement" engine.

PS, once I posted the abbreviations, I just knew you were going to ask what they mean..Lol.:nightmare::D