Supertech/Merc/Quicksilver filters

Oshkosh1

Ensign
I was at Wally World today and was checking oil filters for my boat. A few months ago, WalMart apparently switched suppliers for their Supertech line and now the shelves are fully stocked(here) with the updated models. I popped their "ST-5"(Fram PH5 equivalent) and compared it to the Mercruiser and found them to be IDENTICAL in every respect. Internal structure, material, numbering...everything but the specific ID and paint. Oh...the price as well. Bought the Supertech for $2.84 whereas the Merc was going for $9 and $13 at the local "Fleet Farm".

I've run Supertech filters in all sorts of engines through the years and have found them to be very reliable. Same goes for their oil. Always have had very good oil test results from Blackstone labs...

alldodge

Staff member
I've used supertech oils off and on without issues for years, and grease is also good.

Did give up on Fram years ago after cutting into some of them my self. I have almost 2 cases of Pennzoil filters (Fram makes them) which was using on my boats, but since checking, they just collect dust. Hope some day I might have an old lawn mower or something to use them on, or may just give them away

tpenfield

Staff member
I always buy the Mercruiser/Quicksilver filters for my boat, because if I ever get the urge to sell it, it 'looks' better to a prospective buyer to see the OEM filter and not a knock-off.. I'm sure the low priced filters are fine, just feel better getting the OEM.

I have started doing that on my new tow vehicle, since Walmart has the Motorcraft (Ford) filters.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Pretty much All of my filters come from Napa,.... Wix filters, ya can't go wrong,......

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Ayuh,..... Pretty much All of my filters come from Napa,.... Wix filters, ya can't go wrong,......

I won't buy another one from them. In one of my other "worlds"(British sports cars) there was an issue with threads having been cut wrong in some of their filters a few years ago. Even after many verified "bad" filters from all around the country were brought back(couldn't thread correctly on a bolt of the same thread pitch and size) they refused to pull them off the shelves so although word did spread quickly, at times not fast enough for some owners. After stripping out the aluminum standpipe, the owner would then need to R&R the inverted filter assembly which takes a couple of hours and about $75.

Now the preferred filters are Purolator...which is what I run on my Jag and MGB only.

I believe Champion Labs makes both the Merc and ST lines as well as Mopar, AC Delco and a few others...all here in the USA. The "older" ST filters in the white casings were mostly Wix...

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Puralator and Fram look the same when you cut them open, so its all about their machine and use which ever you choose

Oshkosh1

Ensign
I always chuckle over this relatively new trend(since YT) of cutting filters open and making proclamations about their build quality. Imagine that...a filter designed to sell for $3 being of lesser quality and out classed by filters costing twice and three or four times that. Whod'a thunk it!lol!