Widget identification help request

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I've just bought a 2nd hand cruiser and I'm trying to find my way around and get an understanding of every system as there was no handover and there's very little documentation. This little cap says Oil Fill and Vent and it is above the steering column so is it some sort of lubrication point for the steering? If so, how would I find out what oil to use and how far do you fill it? Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

David.

Attachments

• photo297182.png
    photo297182.png
    542.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
You have full hydraulic steering and it uses Seastar oil. If it ever does not steer correctly open the port, it should be filled to the top

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks so much for that quick ID! One done, many more to go now....

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks GA_Boater - It's a Mustang 4200 Hard Top that I'm working on (I updated my signature but realised this past boats just makes things confusing!!). Thanks for the Seastar information - that's great. I'm trying to track down as many manuals as I can for various systems. Next on my list is the air conditioner - I don't think it's outputting through the hull and think it's pooling under the main bedroom but that's a topic for another thread if I don't get it sorted!! Thanks again for the links.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Next on my list is the air conditioner - I don't think it's outputting through the hull and think it's pooling under the main bedroom but that's a topic for another thread if I don't get it sorted!! Thanks again for the links.

The condensation drips into a pan. The pan has a hose on it that leads either directly overboard or into the bilge. It's a simple gravity drain. If the drain or hose get blocked with crud, the pan overflows. That's likely what's happened to yours.

In my previous 4 Winns, the A/C unit was mounted on a shelf over the mid-berth. My drain clogged up and at 3:00 one morning a drain pan-full of cold water dumped right onto my feet. Woke me up pretty quick!