Need to purge an in floor gas tank of old gas.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a tank of 15 year old gas that needs pumped out. There is an access door in the floor where the filler hose dumps into the tank, I plan on removing the filler tube hose and draw from there. My question is, Is there a economy pump of some sort that is sealed from sparks that I could use, or any ideas besides sucking on a hose and drinking the gas...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hand pump..however after 15 years, not sure what is left would actually pump

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A manual oil change pump will work. It might be slow, but safe. Add a longer pickup hose if needed.

39723.gif

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The gas might be jelly eh? I wonder if I should add a cleaner of some sort, a gallon or two of kerosene first and take it down the road for a ride?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yep, depending on what was added, how much was added , what was added chemically, the temp and humidity can gell a full tank of gas

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or it would have evaporated leaving behind a thick varnish like substance that may need to be cleaned out mechanically

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a cheapo electric fuel pump like the ones you buy off ebay. I have used it for stuff like this before, works great. Just hook it up outside the boat, it's able to suck fuel enough to empty a tank.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a tank of 15 year old gas that needs pumped out. There is an access door in the floor where the filler hose dumps into the tank, I plan on removing the filler tube hose and draw from there. My question is, Is there a economy pump of some sort that is sealed from sparks that I could use, or any ideas besides sucking on a hose and drinking the gas...
Howdy,

Go to Home Depot (or equivalent) and get 25ft or more of 3/4" clear vinyl hose. Put a short piece of PVC pipe on the end you'll put in the tank (through the gage-sender hole) and put a plastic or brass ball valve + PVC pipe on the other end (that you'll have a helper put into the receptacles for the old gasoline.

"TIP" the bow UP with a jack or blocks so as to get all the fuel at the back of the tank where the gage sender hole usually is.

Fill the hose with fuel (valve closed) place the suction end of the hose in the tank keeping the bubbles in the hose to a minimum. (filling the hose [valve-closed] eliminates the need to "suck" with your mouth!! YUK!!!)

Once the suction end of the hose is in the tank (someone holding it) , pull the "valve-end" of (full) hose out to the containers that you'll drain the fuel into.

Those containers MUST be lower than the level of the tank to get the siphon to work and if you can get several feet lower (boat parked on a hill etc) the strength of the siphon is directly related to how far below the tank you have the other end.

You can then use the hose-end in the tank (with the short piece of PVC pipe) as a "Vacuum" to get all the fuel, water, crud, debris etc

The helper on the valve end can close the valve while switching containers when they get full.

Do all of this OUTSIDE away from buildings cars etc......and have a (appropriate) fire extinguisher available. AND DON'T USE anything electrical to do it!

A 3/4" hose with only a foot or two vertical separation (bottom of tank to top of container) will siphon 15 gallons in only a few min!

Cheers,

Rick

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tip Rick
. I have ordered a transfer hand pump that will also siphon when the handle is pulled all the way open. I will post results this weekend.