1998 Larson 233 escape (fuel issue)

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
Yes Im good with a voltmeter. My friend who checked it for me on another project was incorrect as far as his testing methods on a vehicle he help me with.. I am wondering if he was incorrect all along and the diodes are the problem. I just am not wanting to rely on anybody else other than myself. So if its the ignition diode that is out do I need to check that im making it to the switch first and go from there using the diagram you guys provided and go from there all the way to the pump.?

alldodge

Staff member
Your first comment was your not getting power to the pump. When cranking it goes thru one diode and when in run, it goes thru another. To check a diode, shift the voltmeter to the diode scale and check the resistance in the forward direction, then swap leads and check in the reverse.

One way will pass and the other will not. If diodes check out, then measure voltages in ON, start and run

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I will check this today and post the results... Yea my friend who supposively checked it im beginning to think he didnt ... just because Ive been reading about the diodes and how they operate just trying to learn about them in case I have to replace them and the way he tested it doesn't seem plausible for getting accurate results so im to the point well might as well do everything myself and learn . Also I appreciate your help again .Im gonna spend all day on this thing with a voltmeter im determined to find out where my power is at

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
OK so after a few beers and a lot of play time with my fluke meter I found the harness was my problem I ordered a harness last week and I installed it today started it up and it ran beautifully for about 5 minutes then suddenly it dies. started it again it starts right up runs for another 5 minutes and dies. any suggestion? Im getting good voltage to the pump now I pulled some fuel out of the tank before I left and im gonna let it sit over night and see what it looks like .. also the fuel water separator filter is still half full.

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
Also I tried to suck fuel through the hose that runs to the fuel pump and i could get no fuel but if i blow into it i can hear the tank gurgle

alldodge

Staff member
Your issue appears to still be on the RUN side of powering the fuel pump. When cranking the motor, the pump turns ON and supplies fuel to the carb. Once it starts key is released and the pump turns OFF because power from the ALT is not keeping it ON. Fuel runs out and motor dies

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
Because while it was running I put my hand on the pump and you could feel fluid running through it or is that normal even if the diode is out and the fuel filter still almost full? I figured that the fuel water separator filter would be empty if the pump wasn’t working ? Well if I can get it figured out this week I’ll prolly have to suck it up and take it to stealership

alldodge

Staff member
So it could stil be the alternator side diode

With a new harness, you should also have new diodes in the harness.

hand on the pump and you could feel fluid running through it or is that normal even if the diode is out and the fuel filter still almost full

If the pump was running while the motor was, then the relay was pulled in and should not be the diode. Need to know, did the pump stop running before the motor died, or was it still going.

The fuel filter not being full says there is a restriction in the tank, filter, lines or fittings going to the pump, or the new pump has issues. If something in line from tank to pump has an sir leak, then this can also cause the issue

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
Yes the pump was running strong for about 5 minutes idling fine oil pressure was good it was very quiet running the water pressure was good . I will say this about this boat it still has old fuel and when I pulled the lid off the tank it looks gross metal parts are rusty I’m thinking bout draining the fuel after looking at it a few moments ago idk I’m feeling like there has to be a restriction somewhere but it was running fine then acts like it lost vacuum I’m gonna take a break bleeder and check that in a few minutes

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
Makes sense about the diodes the end that went into the pig tale to the fuel pump was melted and about 3 feet behind that was melted in the factory harness the ignition protector was melted ...so all that is repaired now . Can I hook up a portable tank to it with a manual prime and see if the issue with running persists if that works it would tell me if it’s a tank issue or restriction issue I think your on point with the shape this tank looks

alldodge

Staff member
Yes you can put the fuel line into a gas can and run the boat. Might have to crank a bit to get the fuel pumped up.

With both wiring harnesses being melted in spots could be a problem, but you said its all fixed.

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
yes it is all fixed now all the wiring is now solid i spend the day sanding grounds and making sure I have good connections. my sample of fuel shows major separation and a lot of water in it. I am most likely just gonna replace the pickup , sending unit and anti siphon valve as well as some of the hoses those are just a few items im noticing are rusted or dry rotten. the fuel is definately sketchy so im gonna drain the tank tomarrow and clean the tank this evening . anything else i might wanna consider replaceing at this point while im here ..

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
The tank idea was just a thought to see if I get the same results if I do then I have a problem elsewhere as well but either way this fuel issue will be addressed.

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
OK today I ran the boat with a portable tank and it ran no problems at all. ran for about an hour water pressure was excellent all pressures and gauges good...I started playing with the inboard tank and cleaning it up I ordered a fuel sending unit because it was rusted really bad.. I noticed the fitting where the fuel hose goes into has a little metal slide on it... in my manual it says theres a fuel cut off and I was wondering if this was it ...

Attachments

• photo298773.jpg
    photo298773.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Pull the anti syphon valve where the hose hooks on, make sure it's clean, and pull the pickup and see if it's clean and clear.

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
I actually ordered one before i siphoned the gas. I was going to siphon gas out through that valve and could not get anything out if it .I pulled the sending unit out and pumped through there before I I turned the slide piece unfortunately. and it flowed easily so it is some sort of valve.. In my manual it says some 233 escapes have it some don t. Never owning a boat like this I am still learning a little . unfortunately I pumped all the gas out first .... all 30 gallons out it did have alot of water in it tho so no harm

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Never saw a valve like that myself. Good to know what I'm looking at if I ever run across one.

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
after putting fresh gas in it and turning the magical valve i got it and it ran very well everything fuel related it working properly and its running awesome and idling like its suppose to . Thank you guys so much for helping me out with this stuff I have learned so much from you guys . I am making notes of operating procedures . :)

js1987

Seaman Apprentice
I have a small problem the boat runs and is running like its suppose to but will not get above 3500 rpms and the temp wont heat up ... where is the temperature sensor/sending unit at on this thing?