Kicker motors - 2 or 4 stroke?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I’m reading that there’s a mixed bag when it comes to kickers. What’s your choice for under 9.9 hp, 2 or 4 stroke for dead slow trolling?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I’m reading that there’s a mixed bag when it comes to kickers. What’s your choice for under 9.9 hp, 2 or 4 stroke for dead slow trolling?

Howdy,

Well, I don't know what others in the Outboard section think.....(This is the I/0 section) But having said that, I would not trade my 9.8 short-shaft Tohatsu for any 2-stroke! .........I sold my 6hp Rude many years ago

There are some lakes where you get fined if you are caught running a 2-stroke "kicker"

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Howdy,

Well, I don't know what others in the Outboard section think.....(This is the I/0 section) But having said that, I would not trade my 9.8 short-shaft Tohatsu for any 2-stroke! .........I sold my 6hp Rude many years ago

There are some lakes where you get fined if you are caught running a 2-stroke "kicker"

good grief what a Putz I am. Time for bigger display on my device. Thanks for your opinion though

Alumarine

Captain
The primary reason I prefer 4 stroke is I have a 4 stroke I/O which I can share fuel with.
Secondary - noise.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are running a 4 stroke for your primary motor, and can run an 8 or 9.9, I would go 4 stroke. If you are going to run a smaller single cylinder I would go with a 2 stroke. The single cylinder 4 strokes are just too shaky and noisy for me.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Interesting question- what's your primary engine- 2 or 4 stroke? I had a walk-around with a 2-stroke main motor. It had oil injection, which I liked; and it also meant that the fuel in the main tank was "pure". No oil in it. So.. when I bought a kicker I bought a 4-stroke so I could run it off the main tank.

Another thought is that if you want the kicker for safety ("get me home") purposes, you might want it to have its own fuel supply in a portable tank. In that case it wouldn't matter what kind of fuel is running the main engine.

My .02

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting question- what's your primary engine- 2 or 4 stroke? I had a walk-around with a 2-stroke main motor. It had oil injection, which I liked; and it also meant that the fuel in the main tank was "pure". No oil in it. So.. when I bought a kicker I bought a 4-stroke so I could run it off the main tank.

Another thought is that if you want the kicker for safety ("get me home") purposes, you might want it to have its own fuel supply in a portable tank. In that case it wouldn't matter what kind of fuel is running the main engine.

My .02

Thanks guys. Surprised to see the responses in this forum. But since we are here and the discussion is rolling, I have a an old 65 merc outboard on a 16’ aluminum (bow rider) It is a 3 cyl model and does not like to troll. No built in fuel tank or auto oiler.

I looked at an old 4hp 2 stroke and passed on it as it looked not only rough, but too small. I think it may have been buzzing away like a weed eater, so now I’m thinking of an 8 or 9.9 so it could run slow rpms. (As long as I can find one that liked running at idle speeds without loading up) or will idle speeds on larger motors be too fast for walleye? Looking for 1-1.5 mph I think. That’s the slow end. The upper end should be strong enough to get me back to the launch should the main quit.
when end I upgrade the main, it will be an Evinrude Etec.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys. Surprised to see the responses in this forum. But since we are here and the discussion is rolling, I have a an old 65 merc outboard on a 16’ aluminum (bow rider) It is a 3 cyl model and does not like to troll. No built in fuel tank or auto oiler.

Well that little tidbit will certainly weigh my advice. Since you are using premixed fuel for a two stroke main engine, it makes sense to get a two stroke kicjer

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
when end I upgrade the main, it will be an Evinrude Etec.
If I was going to repower an outboard boat I would absolutely get an ETEC!I

And since you wouldn't be mixing, I'd get a nice Tohatsu/Nissan 4-stroke.

I bought my TOHAT 9.8 (81lbs) in 2003 new and even though it sometimes sits for 2 years, I have never had to do anything except pull the rope once or twice and (end of season) run it out of fuel on shutdown......all it's ever had is regular E10 gasoline.....it even has the original plugs and I only changed the impeller once (last summer)

It's so quiet and slow that if there's any other ambient noise I forget it's even running!!

Cheers,

Rick

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep, if you're main motor is two stroke pre-mix, then a two stroke kicker would be ideal. Unless you have room in your boat for a small extra gas can that you could run straight gas in.

If you're not stuck on Mercs, find a late 70's Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 their smooth, quiet and will last forever. Definitely go with a 2 cylinder, much much smoother.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For a troller I would go with a 4 stroke. If it's just an emergency get me home motor I would probably do a 2 stroke just for something smaller and lighter. My boat has a built in fuel tank so I'm not sharing fuel out of it for a second motor so for me that would not be a deciding factor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
2 strokes OB's doesn't like running at idle trolling speeds for extended time periods, will inevitably foul plugs prematurely in the short run. At reduced rpm plugs will not be reaching their self cleaning temperature that's achieved at + 500C° upwards. Constant idle rpm will also contribute to build excessive carbon build ups on combustion, exhaust chamber and exhaust pipe as well. For trolling purposes a 4 strokes is much better.

As you'll be using an aux OB as a kicker on a heavier boat whether a 2 or 4 strokes one prop it right to rev to its full wot rpm range factory stated as loaded, usually will require a less pitch prop from factoy delivered one to pull wot revs up.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have run 2-strokes on 3 different boats, and 4-stroke kickers on 2 others. Six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Today, I would only buy new, so a 4-stroke would be my choice.

An old 2-stroke with proper plugs (not necessarily the spec ones) along with a "sailboat prop" should not be problematic for fouling. My '84 9.9 Rude has about 300 hours of 100% trolling with nice clean plugs.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I have run 2-strokes on 3 different boats, and 4-stroke kickers on 2 others. Six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Today, I would only buy new, so a 4-stroke would be my choice.

An old 2-stroke with proper plugs (not necessarily the spec ones) along with a "sailboat prop" should not be problematic for fouling. My '84 9.9 Rude has about 300 hours of 100% trolling with nice clean plugs.

Thanks, what rpms would your motor be running with that prop?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks, what rpms would your motor be running with that prop?

I don't have a tach on the kicker so I don't know. When I first got it, it DID foul plugs. Then I changed the prop to the lowest pitch available and it improved 100%. Then, just by chance on a business trip I met one of the OMC Engineers in Waukegan, Ill. He steered me to a better spark plug, and boy after that it was slick as a whistle.