Removing Fuel from Tank

Bimmerknut

Seaman
I just bought a 24ft 1976 Fiberform. It's been 2 years since it was licensed and run. I need to remove the bad fuel that's in it. This being my first I/O (351 Windsor), how do I go about doing that? The gauge doesn't work so I have no idea how much is in there. There also are no batteries in the boat at this time, so no worries about spark getting to any fumes.

Thanks!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
This question was asked by a member several years ago. Don't remember what they said. I did it my way; it worked for me.
I disconnected the fuel line from the engine; ran a hose from the tank outlet to outside the boat. Then I used a wet/dry vacuum and blew the gas out backwards. I was shot down by many members commenting about a electric motor causing sparks combined with fumes; etc. I did it outside; used a 8' vac hose.Blew 14 gallons of 4 year old gas out! Was told I didn't get it all out; but Seafoam worked good. My 2c.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This question was asked by a member several years ago. Don't remember what they said. I did it my way; it worked for me.
I disconnected the fuel line from the engine; ran a hose from the tank outlet to outside the boat. Then I used a wet/dry vacuum and blew the gas out backwards. I was shot down by many members commenting about a electric motor causing sparks combined with fumes; etc. I did it outside; used a 8' vac hose.Blew 14 gallons of 4 year old gas out! Was told I didn't get it all out; but Seafoam worked good. My 2c.

that is a sure fire way to cause an explosion and not get all the fuel out

pull the fuel tank sender, get a hand siphon pump and remove the fuel safely. it will also allow you to fix your broken sender and to clean the inside of the tank.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... 3 or 5 years ago, a guy did that, just next bay over from here,....

He's been Dead since he tried the shop-vac trick,....

I need to remove the bad fuel that's in it. This being my first I/O (351 Windsor), how do I go about doing that?

Ayuh,.... Explore the hull,... find the tank,... pull the gauge sender, 'n use that hole,...

An oil sucker pump can work,....
An electric fuel pump can be hooked to the gas line at the motor,...
If ya got the sender out, I believe a barrel pump will fit through the hole,....

Just DON'T use a shop-vac,.....

Bimmerknut

Seaman
Thanks fellas! Yeah, I'm 64 and old for a reason! Currently disabled and a 2-time cancer survivor. I'd like to put at least another 30 years on the clock. That said, I don't think I'll be playing Russian Roulette with the shop-vac.

Bimmerknut

Seaman
If it runs, I did ok for $1,500. The upholstery is in really good condition. Not holey or ratty at all. So the filler cap is up front in the bow. Guess I'm going to have to measure and guesstimate the length from the fill port to the bottom of the tank and from the fill port to the ground.

Bondo

Staff member
Guess I'm going to have to measure and guesstimate the length from the fill port to the bottom of the tank and from the fill port to the ground.

Or suck the fuel out through the fuel line to the motor,....

To Test fire it, hook up a remote tank of fresh fuel to the fuel filter,....

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
+1 with Scotty you’re gonna want to repair the sending unit anyway so mite as well pull that and that way you can 100% get the tank clean.

I just did exactly this on my 2755 for exactly the same reason. I had one of those inline electric fuel pumps that are often used for primers or as a lift pump on a boat or farm equipment. I just disconnected the fuel line at the water separator and hooked the pump in there. I assume I didn't completely empty the tank - there's likely a bit of fuel still sloshing around in there - but I have no reason to believe the fuel was bad or the tank was dirty so I'm not that concerned.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Ok; got shot down again. All I can say is it worked for me; others have different ways. The OP asked a question; I gave a answer. I thought a Forum was of differing opinions; maybe that is why they killed JC.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok; got shot down again. All I can say is it worked for me; others have different ways. The OP asked a question; I gave a answer. I thought a Forum was of differing opinions; maybe that is why they killed JC.

its all about contrast and comparison lol sometimes people need to know the wrong thing to do before we can do the right thing. We just want to keep ya around longer for your insight....lol. Stay safe?!?!?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just because someone does something extremely dangerous once and lives doesnt mean that they can repeat it as Bondo pointed out in post #4

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... No big deal,.... it's Why iboats forums are sooo Great,.....

Enough eyes to see, 'n point out risky thinkin', 'n wrong repair tactics,....

Believe me, Yer not the only one ever called out for such,....
Myself, hundreds, possibly thousands of times,....

1 of the many reasons I so miss Don S,.....
It usually played out Don S correctin' Me,....
Alotta times, I'd get 'im, 'cause he misread the question, 'n gave the right answer,... for the wrong problem,....

Flame away folks but there's nothing inherently dangerous about slightly pressurizing a gas tank to push gas out. Normal precautions for sparks and open flame apply but many a vapour locked vehicle has been cured by a slight pressurization on the gas tank and I'm unaware of carnage in the wake of those who solve this problem in this fashion. I started out trying to push the gas out of my tank but was stymied by the vents. That's good I guess - I'm happy to know the vents are working. I might have continued down that path but I remembered I had the aforementioned pump so I went that way. I certainly didn't abandon the pressure idea because I was afraid I'd join Elon's roadster in low earth orbit. The problem on the interweb is often too many armchair safety nazis and too few practitioners who have actually (safely) solved problems in the real world.

Flame away.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the comment bo! My point exactly! Enough said; I wake up in a new world every day!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Um...guys, he was talking about using the shop vac "backwards"

I.E. turning the vac "around" and allowing it to provide pressure to the tank. There's essentially little chance you could get a spark that would have to travel all the way down the hose and into the tank AND there would be NO fuel vapor traveling through the vac hose or vac.

Now having said that, you would have to have the VAC not only outside the boat, but I would want a long enough hose so I could put the vac AT LEAST 50 ft away from the boat!! (I STILL WOULD NOT DO IT, EVER!!)

ALL brush type electric motors (AC and DC) produce a "SHOWER" OF SPARKS!!

Even using a battery powered electric drill will produce a a spark that can ignite fuel vapor. They are UNSAFE when used in an ignitable atmosphere. (unless they're certified explosion proof
https://www.dietzelectric.com/pdfs/hazard-loc-class.pdf )

The quickest and easiest way to drain a tank is to siphon the fuel out though the fuel gage sender hole with a large diameter hose.

Raise the bow up

Go to home depot and buy 20 or more ft of 3/4" clear vinyl hose, some plastic PVC pipe and a brass ball valve.

Put a piece of pipe on the end of the hose you'll put in the tank and the ball valve on the end that will be at the fuel receptacle end.

Fill the hose with fuel first. DON'T use your mouth!!........Just fill the hose with a small funnel. Have a helper hold the end with the valve (open) while you fill from the other (tank) end. (hold the valve end at the same or slightly higher level as the "fill" end)

When the hose is full, close the valve, place the tank end (with the pvc pipe) in the tank. Raise the valve end (with it open) high enough up to purge air out of the hose and then close the valve.

Then get your containers ready at the valve end (on the ground)

Have your helper open the valve and fill each container........ closing the valve between each fill. You use the end in the tank with the PVC pipe on it to move around and "vacuum" any debris and/or water out.

With the bow up, you'll get nearly all the fuel, water, and debris.

DO THIS OUTSIDE AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE OR ANY OTHER IGNITION SOURCE

Have a fire extinguisher handy (preferably HALON or equiv)

I would use 2 year old gasoline in my car mixed 1:5 with fresh gasoline.

Throw the Seafoam, Stabil, or other Snake Oils away. They should be used PRIOR to gasoline storage.......They won't do anything for old gasoline.

Cheers,

Rick

fishrdan

Admiral
I picked up a 25' spool of 3/8 fuel line and a cheap electric fuel pump from the auto parts store years ago, $30 for the lot. Rigged up some long jumper leads and a switch on the fuel pump so it can easily be switched on/off without creating a bunch of external sparks. Works great for projects like this.