Aluminum intake on a '77 Mercruiser 350

tango13

Seaman
I have an older 70's ski boat (1978 18ft American Eagle) with a merc 350/250hp w/original outdrive.

Looks like the intake manifold gaskets are ready to be changed, and I am wondering if there is anything to gain by picking up an aluminum intake swap out with the stock cast iron intake.

On a small boat like this, is there any benefit for swapping on an aftermarket intake? I was thinking an Edelbrock 2101 (I plan on keeping the Q-Jet, as it seems to work really well). I always enjoy upgrading to aftermarket when I can, but only if its not a total waste of money and effort :lol:

Some important points - Boat runs only freshwater (no salt), and the is pretty much stock, minus a new pertronix electronic ignition(but I think it must have low hours cause it runs strong.. this thing can already yank my 220lb strapped to a slalom ski out of the hole hard with a 18' prop.).

I know the only real way to increase power is to work the heads and play with cam and exhaust/intake manifolds... But if there is anything to gain from a cheap intake manifold swap, I am for it.

Bondo

Staff member
but only if its not a total waste of money and effort :lol:

Ayuh,.... Then spend yer money elsewhere,.....

The iron intakes are based on an old Chevy Hot Rod intake of the '60s,....
Mid to hi-rise,...
A good torque builder,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you loose some weight, however you dont gain much for performance unless you build the rest of the motor.

a carb spacer helps with low end torque

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
At the speeds your engine runs there would be minimal difference, if any, swapping to the Edelbrock
The best bang for the buck would be getting a pair of Vortec heads and intake manifold. Volvo's 4bbl Vortec intake was a very good manifild