Layup storage outdrive position

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
My small I/O cruiser (24 ft Wellcraft 240 SE with carb'd 350 engine and VP SX-M outdrive) is stored over the winter by my marina. We pull it, put in the the trailer, winterize it, then leave it on the trailer at the marina. They take it from there. So, the outdrive gets left in the up position - I hate that. I pull the batteries, but the marina doesn't lower the drive when it gets to its layup spot anyway (which may be on the trailer in a warehouse off-site). I have asked, but cannot get access to the boat once it gets to it's layup spot. Anyone else in this situation? Is this a big problem? Suggestions on what to do? Just forget about it? All comments/input appreciated.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The bellows will last longer for sure if you keep it down. I have gotten as much as 10 years out of the Cobra/SX style bellows that way. The idea of removing it for winter storage is a good one because then it can't get stolen if its in your garage and you should be removing it once a season anyway to check the bellows, gimble bearing and the u joints. On some models you can lube the gimble and u joints, on some you can't but on a Volvo SX the only way to lube the driveshaft splines (yearly maintenance) is to pull the drive. If the drive is not pulled regularly on these models you can have a tough time getting it off because there is no gasket between the drive and pivot housing and corrosion can get it stuck on there. Removing it, doing the maintenance and putting a coating of OMC triple guard grease on the mating surfaces will prevent a lot of troubles.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys. Makes sense. Now I just gotta talk my primary mechanic (son) into it - he and I do all that stuff, but he usually wants to wait til we take it out of storage and prep it for the next season. I'm working on getting him to do the bull work these days. Maybe I should let him use the boat this Sunday to help persuade him.

Gratuitous photo of him skiing up at the camp attached
IMG_6533 reduced.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Same position...
When I take it out the water, I put it all the way down to drain the water out it before winter...go through the winterisation methods with antifreeze through the drive etc, then leave the leg kind of half way down, because the marina owners tend to move the boats around during the occasional flooding of the boat yard. So I can't leave it down really. Best to leave it down as far as you can, enough that it won't hit anything when being moved. Takes the pressure off the rubber bellows. If you have ran anti freeze through the headers and out the exhaust, you should be fine and not worry about any trapped water to freeze in there.