Reading codes/data from ECM

lonewolf41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like having tools to fix and troubleshoot my vehicles. With my new to me boat and a Volvo 5.0GXi motor, the ECM has a lot of information that I don't currently have access to . I would like to be able to access that data. It sure would have been handy this weekend when my engine alarm started screaming at me and went into low power mode. That turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch. I was able to troubleshoot it, but the ECM telling me "you have low oil pressure" (even though the gauge showed it good) would have narrowed down my search and sped things up.

I have done a lot of research. I know about the MEFIburn and Rinda stuff and I could go that route, but with the free software available (I am very frugal), it just seems like I should be able to make this happen for a lot less money. I am attempting to use tunerpro and/or scannerpro to accomplish what I want; however, I don't have the required file (.ADX or .ADS I believe) to interface with the MEFI 4 so the software knows how to display the data. I am only wanting to read the data/codes at this time (scannerpro should suffice I believe) so reading and writing .BIN files is not what I am after. I have the cable details and the parts to make the interface cable came in today (~$25 total) so all I need now (I think) is scanner/tuner configuration files to read the data from the ALDL.

It looks like from a search that Tail_Gunner might have some experience with this so I am hoping he chimes in; however, anyone else with information, please let me know. I think I am very close to making this happen. I just have this one hump to get over and then it should be downhill from here.

Also, once I verify my cable works with the software as I hope/think it will, I don't mind posting the details for others to build their own.

TIA,
-Keith

tpenfield

Staff member
I looked into the MEFIburn tools and it looked like you had to buy a pice of software from them (the scan decoder) and then run it on the tunerpro software.

Too much fiddling for my tastes and so I bit the wallet and bought the Rinda system and never looked back