Volvo Penta 5.0 question

mort5029

Seaman Apprentice
I need some advice on an engine. I am looking at a four winns with the below engine. I spoke to a local marina and they say parts can be a pain to get but that the particular engine is a ford. So I am confused on why it would be so difficult. I would like to hear from Volvo Penta engine people who have the same engine. Is it reliable? Are parts and people to work on it that scares? Anyone in the Detroit area would be great as that is where i reside (Mechanics). I know I am going to get tons of merc owners who are going to say no stay away, but I am interested in other volvo owners. Thanks for all your help.

6340303_20170818095739450_1_LARGE.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I wonder when VP changed over to Ford, mine was a Chevy...... My older 5.7 SBC was very dependable....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Fords were used for a very short period of time during the OMG/VP JV years. And yes, parts are almost non existant for the EFI system

I wouldnt recommend buying it just because of the ford motor

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What Scott said. Stay away from any boat with a Ford engine. They left the 'marine' business nearly 20 years ago. Stick with a GM-based package. Outdrive parts availability (V-P vs Mercruiser) seems to depend on where you live. Here on Long Island, V-P parts are easy to get.

My .02

mort5029

Seaman Apprentice
OK then the 5.7 litre would be a GM engine????? If so i was told they are very easy to get parts for.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yeah, 5.7 is the GM 350 cubic inch V8. Ford would be 5.8 (351 c.i.). Easiest way to differentiate the 2, is that Ford mounted the distributors at the front of the engine (as in your pic), GM at the rear.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... They also use the 5.0l, 305cid Chevy motor, so look at which end of the motor the distributor is on,...

Forward distributor is a Ford, Aft distributor is a Chevy,....

The Ford 5.0l is 302cid, the Chevy 5.0l is a 305cid,....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I know I am going to get tons of merc owners who are going to say no stay away, but I am interested in other volvo owners. Thanks for all your help.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

There really is a problem with parts availability for the FOMOCO (Volvo and OMC) EFI engines. Other "wear" parts like manifold and risers etc are going to be generally available but will cost more. Ford engines were abandoned for stern drive use in the 90's This doesn't mean they're less reliable than any other engine. It only means that certain parts are simply not made anymore. This causes a lot of repair facilities to shy away from them. They want to satisfy you . They don't want you mad at them because they can't (or won't) fix them

As far as Volvo vs Mercruiser, that's a different issue. For every Volvo powered boat sold in the US, Mercury Marine sell far more Mercruiser powered boats. It's not because they're "better" (in fact some think Volvo is better...but they're biased......they own Volvos!!)

I went through the same process when I removed my previously installed OMC (Ford 460) + King Kobra drive.

I looked specifically for a Big Block (GM) Volvo Penta engine and drive to replace the OMC Cobra.

Back then, I considered even buying new packages and found that similarly sized engines and drives were similarly priced. That is, the Volvo 496 + Duo-Prop AND the Mercruiser 496+ Bravo III packages were about $25,000 in round numbers. (Plus install, tax etc)

Since it wasn't worth putting a new engine in a nearly 20 year old boat (no matter what condition it was in) I started looking for used "pulls" (I.E. good engines and drives in damaged boats)

Over a several month period up here in the Pacific Northwest (including Portland OR) , I found several complete Mercruiser eng/drive packages ranging from 5.7L to 8.2L Bravo I, II, III that were suitable for my 21ft boat, ranging from $5000 to about $8500 with various hours etc.

I found NO similar Volvo engine/drive packages at all. None.

At the same time I was checking eBay for similar engine/drive combos and although I did find a few Volvo packages it was only a few and they were simply too far away. (I didn't really want to buy something I couldn't check out first)

I also observed that at any given time, there was approx 3 times more Mercruiser engines, drives, parts and accessories etc on eBay than Volvo [Right now Volvo: approx 25000 results, Mercruiser: 71,000]

It appeared to me that since I was going to be the one fixing my boat when something failed, I wanted to stack the deck in my favor when looking for parts new or used etc.

I ended up buying the engine and drive I have now (1997 454/Bravo III)

Understand, if I had initially found a Volvo engine and drive, I probably would have bought it. After I bought the engine and drive, I continued to look and found more Mercruiser engines and drives. (even found a late model 425hp 496/Bravo III setup I could have probably gotten for about $8000 (should have bought it anyway but didn't)

So my "vote" would be DO NOT BUY a boat with a 90's (OMC or Volvo) Ford EFI engine under any circumstances.

And this is NOT a Volvo vs Merc thing..........

If it's carbureted, I wouldn't get it either (Ford engine)

Any other Volvo (GM) is fine. The (SX) drives are fine (from about 1995-ON) It's just that if you want to scrounge parts to fix it yourself, and you use eBay, craigslist etc, you'll find Mercruiser parts more plentiful.

If you're just going to go to the Volvo Dealer for parts, you will not have any problem finding parts. (Just take out mortgage on your house first! Getting OEM parts for either Merc or Volvo will always be more expensive than scrounging used parts........but it will always be easier to find used Merc parts )

Good luck,

Rick

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe there are more Merc parts on ebay than Volvo because the Mercs breakdown. :) Ya, I'm a Volvo fan because of smooth engagement, cone clutch vs Merc where they tended to bang into gear. But I'm talking late 70s/early 80s boats. Bro had a Merc...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Maybe there are more Merc parts on ebay than Volvo because the Mercs breakdown.

Nah..... It's just for every Volvo sold in the US, Mercruiser sells 100!!:lol: (or is it a thousand?)

Now, I wasn't trying to devolve this into a Merc vs Volvo battle!!;);)

But I wouldn't compare a dog-clutch Merc to any cone-clutch Volvo ............. (Even a Cobra Dog doesn't bang into gear if everything is set right)

But, :focus:........I would stand by my suggestion to avoid any Volvo, OMC, or Mercruiser engine that was FOMOCO.

Now.....OTOH, I have heard that there is an Inboard Ford Marine engine that is current (INDMAR) If they start coupling them up to a sterndrive (Volvo or Merc) that would be an awesome engine!

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...w-built-ford-tough--indmar-and-ford-anno.html

And if one could bolt that engine to an earlier previously 5.0L or 5.8L Volvo or Mercruiser flywheel housing/coupler combo, that would be REALLY awesome!