Differences between Volvo Penta Duo Prop versions?

SpineyNole

Cadet
I will be replacing my 1996 VP DP-S drive soon. I see that there are several newer versions of VP duo-prop drives (DPS-A, DPS-B, DPS-M). What are the differences and pros/cons for each version? Which one is most durable/longer lasting? Or should I just replace with a new DP-S drive? I realize that I might have to replace the transom plate & gimbal housing with some choices. Which one is best and why?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just keep what you have. Way to expensive for such little gain.

SpineyNole

Cadet
Problem is that the DP-S is dated and may not be supported much longer, that is assuming I can even purchase a new DP-S...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are you buying it or is insurance buying it?

Call the guys at marine parts express and see what they say. They sell new drives for all the versions.

Here is one on eBay. Marine Parts Express is cheaper.

You can still get parts for older 270 and 290 drives. I wouldn't worry about the drive at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Volvo-Pe...-/172315493757

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can fret all you want, however you can still get parts for even the 250 drive. so as Bruce stated, replace like for like

while some parts may be NLA for 30 year old drives, there are ways to find NOS parts and even new/reman drives

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not sure about the answer to your question, but I do know that the newer type DP drives are sometimes a pain in the bum.
The chap with the boat in front of me has a stunning Sealine with twin drives. I was staggered to hear that to top up his trim oil....he had to take the boat out the water. The resovoir is in the drive !!!
If yours work...I'd leave them.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As for being dated...all parts are readily available for drives much older than that. Can still get every part you desire for even an old 280SP and probably before.