Oil change

Knottyd

Cadet
Hi Guy's , I'm sorry to say that this season i won't be able to get much more than 30hrs. on my boat. That being said I would like opinions on weather I should have to change the engine oil with so few hrs. before putting it to bed for the winter.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, change oil

your changing it because the byproducts of combustion turns the oil acidic which eats bearings.

alldodge

Staff member
You could probably get away with it, but why chance it, recommend changing

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Drain a little of your drive oil too. Look for water intrusion!

Oil changes for both the engine and drive on a yearly basis are not all that costly....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
30 hours x55 mph= 1650 miles in your car. So a boat motor running at higher rpm's, and working harder than a car motor needs a bit more preventive maintenance. Yup, change it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
If you really want to know, take an oil sample and send it in. I've done 2 on my v6 at around 50 hours, and the oil came back very good, no point in changing it yet.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
2 tests are cheaper than an oil change?

Nope, never said they were cheaper either :) 2 tests can tell you a trend that can save you later though. I usually run 2 seasons on oil now, have for quite a few years. (and of course, tests tell you far more about your engine and how it is running/wearing.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nope, never said they were cheaper either :) 2 tests can tell you a trend that can save you later though
In what way is it going to save you later...especially with a raw water cooled boat where you aren't worried about antifreeze in the oil?

I can somewhat see the value in an engine in a truck or auto but doing them on boats kinda doesn't make sense to me especially if you are a person who puts so little hours on an engine that you are skipping seasons to change the oil.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
In what way is it going to save you later...especially with a raw water cooled boat where you aren't worried about antifreeze in the oil?

I can somewhat see the value in an engine in a truck or auto but doing them on boats kinda doesn't make sense to me especially if you are a person who puts so little hours on an engine that you are skipping seasons to change the oil.

Just a believer in doing preventative maintenance when it is needed, and not doing it when it isn't. (also, I have access to free/cheap oil tests!)

2 consistent tests told me that the oil had a lot of life left in it, wear metals were good, and it was within grade. That is the same as changing your car's oil at 3000 miles but yet the manual says 6000+. You are just flushing money based on myths and wivetales, not science. (lots of people still do exactly that for vehicles, for the sole reason that is how their dad, and their dad's dad did it. Not one bit of it based on science (aka oil testing)

One other thing to consider... You might be doing damage in the startup after your oil change, unless you pre-fill your filter AND run the starter with the ignition disabled until you get oil pressure. (which very, very few people do.) I have a lot of experience in a specific high performance car environment, and there was a very distinct trend of people losing bearings under 200 miles after an oil change.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I pre fill my filter before I start my engine but the it's a myth that you need to crank your engine without the ignition on to build pressure first. There is plenty of oil on all the surfaces after an oil change to not cause damage. Oil pressure develops within a few seconds if you watch your oil pressure gauge. I also don't change my oil at 3K miles either.

I take it you do the same when your engine sits for over 6 months in the winter? That would be when you want to do that...not right after an oil change.

I still want you to tell me how these oil tests are going to save me later with a boat. What preventative maintenance would I really expect to do if the oil test came back with high metal levels?

5 qts of Mobil 1 at Walmart cost less than a $28 oil test with Blackstone.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Deleted
Z

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Even airplane engine manufacturers say you don't need to preoil an engine after an oil change.
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...al%20Start.pdf
It makes good sense to test oil for a big truck or commercially operated marine engine. Oil changes are pretty cheap for a recreational boat (unless you get the tests for free), it's probably still better to just change it. And regardless of running time, absolutely drain some drive oil to inspect before winter layup.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pretty soon you will get the Amsoil guy with "all I do is test my oil and it lasts for 5 years".

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah.....well my oil lasts 10 years :lol::lol:

In the end oil is cheaper than parts. I change all the fluids on my boat yearly. At the end of the season when they're possibly contaminated, etc. Cheapest insurance you can buy.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
2 tests are cheaper than an oil change?

Silly advice, in my opinion. For the financial outlay and given the manual usually states 100 hours or 1 year, which ever comes first....why would you not ?