first i/o... what do I need to check before the first time in the water?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all!

I just bought (well, in the process of buying.... pick it up next week!) my first boat with an i/o powerplant (1970 starcraft islander). Would like to take it in the lake and just test drive it, get the hang of the controls, etc.

However, as this is my first i/o, I have some questions. I have found info on things like annual maintenance (oil change, gear oil, bellows, etc). But I haven't really found any kind of "just bought a boat, here's the pre-water checklist".

Just want to know what to check to make sure I don't like sink or ruin my engine right off the bat. For example, I'm sure I should check the bellow for holes, check the oil... what else?

I'm planning to do a full annual maintenance just so I know 100% that it's done. But, I anticipate some weeks before that's done, and I'd like to fix any leaks , etc. So my plan of attack is to do the bare minimum to know that I'm not causing damage this weekend so I can check for leaks, get used to the controls, etc. Take it out for an hour just to see what needs to be done. Then, drydock it for a month while I do the maintenance, fix the leaks, all that good stuff.

So, what do I need to check before it's out for the first time? What could cause catastrophic damage if not checked?

​thanks!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi all!

I just bought (well, in the process of buying.... pick it up next week!) my first boat with an i/o powerplant (1970 starcraft islander). Would like to take it in the lake and just test drive it, get the hang of the controls, etc.
Well,

I would have suggested that you check HERE first before buying it! THEN, I would have suggested you lake test the boat before buying etc......

But I'll presume that you already made the deal.

Without knowing what you bought (exactly) it's going to be a little hard to tell you what you should check first.....but the following thread has some maintenance info that might be relevant.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-repair-i-o-and-inboards/473314-faq-for-i-o-s

Cheers,

Rick

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Genuinely curious... what do you mean when you say I should have checked HERE first?

lake test wasn't really feasible... guy lives 2-3 hours away from a lake, but heard it run and everything on muffs. Runs real good, far as I can tell. So yeah... already made the deal :)

I saw that thread, really good info. The motor is a mercruiser, I just figured there would be general "check this before you get in the water for the first time" stuff that would apply to all i/o engines.

Things like checking to make sure there are no cracks in the bellow. checking for gas leaks/running the blower. Stuff like that.

thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Genuinely curious... what do you mean when you say I should have checked HERE first?

I think they mean it might have been helpful if you had visited us and asked questions before you bought a boat; that way, you could get advice that might save you the money and headaches that come from buying a boat when you don't know what you're doing. (Please don't take that personally; I did the same thing!)

There is a sticky in the Boat Topics and Questions that addresses things to look for when buying a boat; many of these are things that you can now use to figure out what might need to be done with your new boat. Here's the link: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

Good luck and enjoy your new boat. You have come to the right place to learn about boats and boating!

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Initially, I'd make sure all your systems work like lights, blower, bilge pump etc. Make sure you have a spark arrestor, good hoses hooked up to the blower to the engine compartment and the bilge intakes and exhaust have hoses extending down below the deck. Find a Coast Guard checklist to make sure you have all the requirements, such as pfd's, throw cushion, fire extinguisher, distress flag, horn, anchor with good rope, etc. Check Out Drive and Engine oil, check belts, belows, and have a good battery. Have good lines/ropes and fender bumpers. I start my engine while the boat is backed into the water, floating and still on the trailer. Keep an eye on the gauges while running. Lastly, install the plug, and remove the back tie down straps, and watch for leaks. Maybe run it a bit with the engine cover open to listen, and look to make sure nothing weird is going on. Other things to check would be, make sure you alt, starter, fuel pump and ingnition systems are all marine approved equipment. A paddle is a good idea too.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
A LOT of people come here after the fact.

For the people that come here (or just about any other boat site for that matter) FIRST, they find out that the boat they're considering should be passed on by (even if it's "FREE") !

There are also certain Mercruiser, Volvo and nearly ALL OMC (with certain exceptions) that should be avoided.

Member 72fj40 gave you some great things to check!

Without knowing what engine you have, another thing to check is to pressure check the cooling system to include manifolds risers/riser gaskets. If the cooling system will not hold pressure, you'll be replacing the engine.

Running the engine on a trailer will not adequately test much. When you run it in the water, get it up to normal temp, and after about 30-60 min of 3/4 throttle running, stop and check the oil.

Cheers,

Rick

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I mentioned starting the boat while on the trailer was to confirm that it will actually start.

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
thank you all.

I get it about checking here first?makes sense. I'm admittedly really, really new to i/o motors, so I'll take all the help I can get going forwards. I will get the engine info out to everyone. It's a mercruiser, but I can't remember what model off the top of my head. I bought based on my gut... the PO was a really, really nice older gentleman who seems to have maintained the boat really well, and the motor started right up, and it was cheap.... so I hope everything checks out! :)

I will take all of your advice, 72fj40, and do what HT32BSX115 recommends as well.

I will be heading down to pick it up and test it out this weekend! And will keep all of you updated.

thanks again

Aussieguy55

Recruit
People seam to knock OMC quite a bit
Yes they had cable issues but the Cobra is still a pretty good drive.. Ask Volvo.

Parts are a bit of a pain to find BUT they are still available
Before I purchased my Project Boat, I knew the drive was dead and had located a barely used re-manufactured drive for a reasonable price.
4Winns 205 Sundowner 5.0 Cobra, so I took the plunge and bought her.

while at the marine store to purchase trailer bearings.. told the guy what I had just bought and "HOPED" that all I needed to do was swap the drive
well he had a brand new re-manufactured drive (top and bottom) that was ordered for a customer and never picked it up. (or paid for it)
it has never seen water...... got it for 750.00 they just wanted to get their money back it had been sitting a long time in their store.

Power steering cylinder was frozen 65.00 Ebay got me a nice fresh water replacement from up north

Got GIVEN a much nicer transom mount than what was on the boat

rope seal and misc items from iboat (where else would ya go)

BUT... one head on the motor was rusted out , previous owner had left a riser off and rain water entered the head
I knew about the water and wasn't worried , figured motor swap is easy enough
seeing that the new drive was geared for a 5.7 I decided to scrap the 5.0
got a 5.7 ROLLER block crank and pistons

Got GIVEN some vortec heads + other parts by the guy who gave me the transom mount)

BUT... removed the 5.0 motor and found the dreaded transom rot
test drilled the transom Oh My Goodness bust out the grinder

BUT.... bought this as therapy so I stop being a couch potato
It's working haven't seen the couch in a LONG LONG time
I feel much more active, I'm having fun tinkering and it won't be much longer until I finished

SO if anyone finds a OMC don't automatically reject it . It is do-able and worth the effort