BBC build- Don't tell the Admiral

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Don't feel the need to read 6 pages of stuff from HRM, how about copy n paste what you want me/us to see

Opps wasnt directed towards you more towards the general direction of the alum vs cast...Its very subjective and costly

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is the current plan per the Admiral

sell existing motor. Finish the Wooster Hellion and sell it (getting it out of her back yard) build motor, however do it relatively quickly.

that being stated, plan on pulling the motor this week.

already secured a marine BBC finned aluminum oil pan.

looking at a few blocks that have not been sitting in the elements, found this one on ebay not to far from me

Its a 496 block, however could get pricey locating the misc bits

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191772197789?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

looking at his other auctions, looks like there is also a set of full floating rods (for about half a new scat rotating assembly)

still looking at aluminum vs iron heads (havent read thru all the links yet). However have to nail down the block prior to the heads.

Procomp head prices are looking good - maybe too good. I have read mixed reviews on the procomp heads. mostly because its a china knockoff off and there are reports of the valve seats falling out of them and the rocker studs pulling out.

the EQ heads in Iron that Tail_Gunner indicated also look good. have to do more reading

boat is pretty balanced right now, however definately going to run aluminum exhaust manifolds primarily for the weight, and also for the breathing. a new set of replacement cast iron manifolds is about what I found the EMI's for. I am relocating my on-board tools from a case next to the motor on starboard side to somewhere in the bow.

SBC with iron head, iron block, aluminum manifold with iron exhaust and risers is #635
BBC with iron head, iron block, aluminum manifold and aluminum exhaust with stainless risers if about #720

putting an aluminum water pump on the BBC would save a bit of weight.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looking at the 8.1 block on fleabay just south of here, the issue I am finding, it only fits 8.1 stuff (gen 7). the Gen VII different from the gen IV, Gen V, etc.

finding a (claimed) 40 hour 8.1 block will not do any good unless I find heads and slugs for cheap to stuff into it. best I found was a set of 8.1 liter heads on CL in phoenix for $300. that puts me into this for $900 and I still need a rotating assembly.

keep going back to the two local piles of parts and the 049 heads on craigslist. the complete basket case (literally) 454 2-bolt for $350, and a stock bore, sleeved (one-cylinder) block for $100. worse case, I get a set of 4-bolt main caps for $100. the basket case does come with a relatively new flywheel and every truck accessory. thinking I start listing parts on ebay/cl to make some of the cash back.

will have access to the glass bead cabinet at work to help in cleaning the block and heads.

Scored an aluminum BBC marine oil pan on CL for $70

Now on to the boat. the buyer for the SBC stopped by to listen to it run. I had taken cold compression numbers yesterday. roughly 164psi +/- 7psi. gave me $100 to hold it. spent the day pulling off the accessories to get down to the long block. taking the boat to work to use the hoist to remove it and will deliver the motor to Orlando tomorrow evening to get rest of the benjamins.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
http://www.hotrod.com/features/1506-gm-vortec-8100-the-454s-forgotten-big-brother/

A 8.1 could be a expensive way to go....Notice the name Raylar. The 049 head bought right would keep the cost down and supply big power 454 blocks are getting a bit hard to find but parts are plentiful and cheap.

agreed putting together an 8.1 would be costly

sometime around 11pm, found a complete 2004 8.1 liter on Craigslist, awaiting to hear back

so I looked at this as well http://www.summitracing.com/parts/drt-41616010?seid=srese1&gclid=CIeEot--xcoCFcwWHwodatEMbw

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
A little heads up the 049 casting are oval port not peanut port nor the square port.....that manifold you posted is for the square port head and square port heads are best suited for high rpm performance in short you would get a port mismatch.... using the 049/oval port head http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2161/10002/-1 See the square ports

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2161 Click on the 3rd photo...

:D Ive been planning a 454 for my intruder for a while now so....this thread has lit the fire again so to speak. And along that note if you can find marine 496 manifold and riser's they are about as good as it get's.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry if you posted and I didn't see it, but what about finding a 454 in the junk yard?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Tail_Gunner , that manifold I posted is for the Gen 7 (8.1 liter) to run a carb and dizzy. note the equally spaced intake ports and the lack of a t-stat cross-over vs the siamesed intake ports of the BBC Gen IV, V, VI

besides intake ports (oval, vs rectangle vs peanut, vs Gen 7), there is also the water port locations of Gen IV, vs Gen V/Gen VI, vs Gen VII. Install a Gen IV head on a Gen V block and the water runs into the lifter valley. most aftermarket aluminum heads advertised for Gen IV, V, VI, VII have revised cooling passages.

The 049 heads are similar to the 045 heads (open chamber, oval port, small valve)

Its enough to make your head spin

AllDodge , All the salvage yard BBC's that run are removed by the yards down here and sold. Same with LSX motors. however if your looking for a honda or toyota motor, no problem. Not to mention they charge between $2 and $5 just to enter the yard. a weekend of salvage yard hunting usually costs $40 in yard entrance fees. I have been looking.

alldodge

Staff member
Might be worth looking in another state. Look at Pull-A-Part and they seel a complete engine w/accessories for 179 and w/o for 159. Found a 1994 Suburban w 7.4 complete in Knoxville TN. I sure TN may be a bit far but maybe make a call and have them look things up for you. Augusta GA appears to be closest to FL

Bondo

Staff member
Its enough to make your head spin

Ayuh,.... I just popped in to catch up, 'n Wow,... Mind's spinnin',.....

If yer interested,....
My bud Bob, the guy with the 50' Scarab,..?? he sold it,....
Of the 3, 454 Mpi motors for it that didn't go with it, 1 is available,.... 420hp I think,...
Drop-in ready, fully dressed for Bravo, jack-shaft bellhousin',....

Bob bought a 30-something foot boat, twin Bravos he's stuffin' the other 2 into,...

If ya want, I'll pm ya his number,...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks Bondo, however pretty sure he would be asking more than the admiral will allow.

Talked to the CL guy on the 8.1 marine. It's a 2007, motor hydrolocked due to leaking riser. They pulled the motor vs even pulling the plugs. Then let it sit for 8 months. Even at $500, thinking it's too much considering what new slugs for the 8.1 go for.

Well, since the SBC was delivered at 8:15, guess I'm committed. motor-gone.jpg

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Nice garage....its a good thing that i dont have such a facility...So whats the outdrive on that boat? Do you have any ideal's how fast your going to spin the mystery motor (rpm).

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its the incoming material bay at work. the 2 assembly bays and the 2 small fab bays had too many things to move for a 15 minute job. It was the only pic I could get to upload from my phone to photobucket last night. this pic was taken about 5pm just after plucking it from the bilge. I didnt take any pictures of the guys garage in Clermont when I delivered it. was in a hurry to get home.

plan on spinning the motor about 5500 RPM tops. Not sure if I am going to go with a Gen/Mark IV, a Gen V, or Gen VI motor. looked at a few Gen VII motors, however that pushes my budget if it needs any work. if I stick with the IV, V, VI motors, then I can get many used items such as intakes, valve covers, etc. Just picked up the oil pan this morning. I have been busy checking car-part looking for gen VI as most of the internals are forged, and the blocks are mostly 4-bolt. get the benefit of 1-piece rear seal.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
here was the motor strapped for delivery

(pics lost because Photobucket execs had a mental breakdown)

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Bondo, however pretty sure he would be asking more than the admiral will allow.

Ok, but just so's ya know, It's a Merc 420hp, 454,.....

I just called Bob, it's the forged lower end, 4 bolt mains, full rollers, 'n large rectangle port heads,
'n he's now is lookin' to sell it as a long block, no Mpi,...
Slap on a 4bbl. carb, 'n it's 420hp,....

Bob says he's undecided, but something 'tween $4,000., 'n $5000. will buy it,....

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Just thought of another place to look, Offshore only, they have classifieds, swap and WTB sections

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Still digging into final path.

Primary path - Gen VI motor (all forged internals) from salvage yard (been calling for days)
Engine kit $600 or Stoked rotating kit $1800
Marine Cam kit $900
Heads will get mild porting, valve job, etc.
Estimated $1800-3300 and between 450hp - 470hp

Secondary path Gen IV motor with 4" stroke
pick a block from a few of the piles of parts I looked at
new motor kit $500
Marine cam kit $500
buy used heads and have checked.
Estimated $1500 and between 420 and 450hp

Third path Gen IV motor with 4.25" stroke
pick a block from a few of the piles of parts I looked at
new rotating kit $1800
Marine cam kit $500
buy used heads and have checked.
Estimated between $ 2500 and 3000

99th path - Gen VII motor, new cam, Dart intake, minor head work.
Depnding on source of 8.1, estimated between $1500 and $3k and 480hp

on top of the above, need the following:
EMI manifolds
Custom switchable exhaust plumbing to fit the existing volvo plumbing, etc.
new alternator or rebuild my existing
New starter for BBC

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Bob's motor is a zero hour motor btw,....