Trim motor hook up?

swink

Cadet
i have a 1988 classic fifty and i just had to put in a new trim motor the old motor that came off of it was a 3 wire and the new one i bought is a 2 wire but has the relays and everything to make it a 3 wire. I followed the instructions on hooking it up and still can't get it too do nothing. any advice and will get picks up as soon as possible.

Re: Trim motor hook up?

I just did the same thing with my 150 make sure it has a good ground the problem I had was I put it in the wrong way and it wouldn't trim I took it off an turned it the other way an it work it was binding in the trim unit

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim motor hook up?

The trim motor runs on 12v and is reversible. The blue wire is supposed to supply 12v to one side of the motor when the trim button is in the up position. The green wire is supposed to supply 12 v to the opposite side of the motor when the trim button is in the down position. The other side of the motor in each instance has to be grounded through the respective relay to allow current to flow through the motor and run.

The 3 wire brings in it's own ground which is/should be connected to the engine block where the batt (-) is connected. The 2 wire has to get it's ground through the case or internal wire where either has to also be connected to where ever the batt (-) is connected, either mechanically or through a dedicated ground wire.

On the 3 wire as I'm sure is also on the 2 wire is a red wire(s) from batt (+) which actually powers the motor. The blue or green wire just energize the respective solenoid/relay to provide power in the correct direction for movement in the intended direction.

Mark