1987 Mercury 70hp "power trim" not working

puckoach

Cadet
put the battery in my boat today to get it cleaned up an running for the year, got it running but the trim is not working, no sound, nothing, looked for a fuse somewhere but couldn't find anything, all the wires look good

anyone have any idea ?

33jhht3.jpg

Br14n

Cadet
Re: 1987 Mercury 70hp "power trim" not working

Hey puckoach,

Let me preface this by saying that I ask a LOT more questions than I can answer.

When I first got into my boat this spring I experienced the same type of issue. When I first tried to tilt my motor all the motor would do would 'click'. I knew my battery was good as I just bought it last fall and kept it inside through the harsh winter.

In my case, since it was so cold for so long this winter,(I'm near St. Louis) the fluid in the cylinders had become so viscous that the t/t motor couldn't move the outboard.

What I did was release the manual knob on the tilt motor and I manually lifted and lowered the the outboard to clear the cylinders and the lines. It was difficult at first, but became easier the more I lifted and lowered it.

Then I refilled the tilt reservoir, bled the system, and topped off the tank. Have not had one issue since then.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked to make sure the tilt switch (in your controls) is good? Does your motor have a tilt switch mounted on the motor itself? This motor does have a solenoid mounted near the oil tank, and I believe the fuse for the tilt system is located in this area. Also, I remember a separate (3 flat plug) wiring harness leading to the t&t unit. Make sure the plug is connected and solid.

puckoach

Cadet

I was wondering if the switch might be bad also, it doesn't click or anything when I move it up or down

ill check the solenoid area for a fuse

thank you

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

If you disconnect the three wires from the switch, touch two of them together (up or down) and either the motor will click and move, or it wont. If nothing happens.....then its probably the fuse or switch itself. If you have a test light, the middle wire (of the switch) should be hot. If not, trace the harness back until you find the connector. Make sure its tight and secure. Trace it back further and it leads you to the fuse and solenoid area. Keep digging...you will find t through the process of elimination.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Clean All connections related to starter.

puckoach

Cadet

took the switch off the control yesterday and had it tested last night, buddy said its not that, he said its probably a relay or fuse or solenoid

I did find a fuse on the motor but it was good, not sure if it was for the tilt or not, does anyone know where abouts the solenoid is, I have no idea what Im looking for

maybe a diagram somewhere ?

Mi duckdown

Commander

Forget what I posted about starter. got confused. But it's back on top

puckoach

Cadet

found out my issue, at the end of the harness from the switch down near the drain plug we found this 3 way plug that was all corroded, we ended up cutting the plug off and soldering and heat shrinking the wires together, works as good as new now

332cl03.jpg

otkvfq.jpg

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I kind of thought that me be the issue. I had some problems with that connector as well. The flat metal inside the plug is famous for this .

JoHerring

Cadet
I'm having the same issue, that I haven't resolved yet. But for corroded connections I use CLR (or equivalent) to clean them. Just soak your (disconnected from the power source) corroded connections in CLR for a few minutes and rinse off with clear water; dry off and they look like new. Coat connectors in grease for future protection. It saves on the cutting and soldering....

JoHerring

Cadet
I'm having the same issue, that I haven't resolved yet. But for corroded connections I use CLR (or equivalent) to clean them. Just soak your (disconnected from the power source) corroded connections in CLR for a few minutes and rinse off with clear water; dry off and they look like new. Coat connectors in grease for future protection. It saves on the cutting and soldering....