1976 Merc 850 LU attach shift problem

DarrenH

Recruit
I've read through the myriad of threads on this subject and I haven't seen this issue addressed. Hopefully someone has seen this one.

I have a new LU for my Merc 850. I attach normally with the LU and Control Box in neutral (I have the standard control box).

Everything aligns and is mating properly, but with about 1/4 inch left go in the mating process, the LU clicks into reverse.

At that point my shifting is completely out of phase (Forward on the control box is Neutral, Neutral is Reverse, and Reverse is Forward.)

I've tried also mating while both are in F, but I must not be mating it properly because it won't shift at all (stays in F).

Any ideas why the LU would shift while mating? Bent shift rod?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Merc 850 LU attach shift problem

Sounds like the new gearcase is in the wrong neutral. There are two neutrals. Rotate the gearcase shift rod CCW until it goes into forward, and then neutral, and re install. If it doesn't go into forward in the CCW direction, something else is wrong.

DarrenH

Recruit

Hi Chris,

Yup, that's the problem. Wrong neutral. I'll be putting it on later today.

Thanks,
Darren

DarrenH

Recruit

Well blast... CCW neutral had exactly the same results. The LU shifted out of neutral with about 1/4-1/2 inch left in the mating process and the shifting was out of phase just as before.

I tried mating in Forward and I get Forward in Forward unfortunately Forward all the way through to about 1/2 way through the reverse throttle... then it shifts directly to reverse.

One other item that seems different than my previous unit. The LU is extremely difficult to shift into neutral. There's a lot of spring in the splines and it turns about 1/3 turn before actually shifting into neutral from Forward going CCW.

Mating problem in the LU perhaps?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The gearcase should stay in neutral. Sounds like yours may be worn. See if you can put your control just into forward. Now just before the lower and upper shift shafts mate, turn the shiftshaft CCW and hold it as it mates.