mariner 150 power pack wires?

jewafied

Recruit
IMAG0147.jpgIMAG0148.jpgIMAG0149.jpg

I found a corroded wire and tried replacing it but it runs into this box above the carbs and it is sealed with some sort of gel like solid. Is this what you call a power pack and can I cut into that gel like stuff to attach a new wire?

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mariner 150 power pack wires?

That I believe is your idle stabilizer..You cannot cut into it...must be a early 80's motor as they all do this....

jewafied

Recruit

That would be correct about the early 80s, I guess I'll just have to try and find a part of the wire that isn't corroded and splice into it. Thanks for letting me know what that thing was called, I couldn't find it on any diagrams.

Dukedog

Captain

Take it off and throw it away, check both timin' settings...............You MIGHT need ta set idle and max timing. You will know after its checked.

Last edited:

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you may have just enough wire left to make a soldered splice (covered with shrink tube, of course). And you're right about it being hard to find in the parts book- for some reason Merc decided this was part of the choke plate, not the ignition system. Go figger. The good news is that if you can't make the splice, the OEM part is still available. The bad news- $$$$, about 200 of them.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You dont need it, do like Dukedog suggested. These do go bad and cost more than $200 when engine pops!!!

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You dont need it, do like Dukedog suggested. These do go bad and cost more than $200 when engine pops!!!
+3......idle stabizers can and will cause ur engine to lean out at the WRONG time and Pop goes the motor