Merc 40 ELPTO Tilt Trim

pungodicie

Cadet
I've read every post I can find related to power tilt and trim on a Mercury 40hp ELPTO, and still not sure I know what to do. Short version is that my trim motor is so rusty I'd been expecting it to quit working for two years. Got to where it would not always work in both directions, but a quick reversal of direction would get it going again. After last trip it would only go down and not up. Now it has finally quit all together. After reading the posts here I'm not sure if I should assume the motor is bad, or if I should look toward the relays? If the unit will not operate in either direction, is there a way to test the relays? Is there a general opinion on who makes the best aftermarket trim motor? Does anyone know exactly how much gold is in the Mercury trim motor that I see selling for around $400? Thanks for any feedback.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 40 ELPTO Tilt Trim

Bypass the relays and see if the motor works properly.----Just a matter of disconnecting wires from relays and hooking directly to battery power.

pungodicie

Cadet

I've got test leads I can use, but not sure which wires to run them to. Can I just find a place/joint to connect to green and blue wires, and does it matter which would be hot and neg? Thanks.

RRitt

Captain

You did not provide enough information to know which of three possible systems you have. However, 40HP is probably a 2wire system. Which means it only has blue and green - no black wire from trim motor. If so then jumper it a to a battery. If the motor does not spin then it is broken. Actually, it sounds rusted. Which is broken. If you let it go too far and salt water drips through motor into the system then your orings harden and you're fubar. So if you have one of those motors with thick coating of flaky rust ... then just throw it away.

the mercury trim motor is the best. Lasts nearly twice as long as the aftermarkets in a coastal boat. But sometimes 2x product for 3x price isn't always a good deal. Spray the chinese aftermarket ($150) with a thick coating of plasti-seal and you should get 5-7 years in a coastal environment.

but no matter what you do, don't let your trim motor get rusty enough to have leaky gaskets. That will run the hydraulics.

pungodicie

Cadet

You did not provide enough information to know which of three possible systems you have. However, 40HP is probably a 2wire system. Which means it only has blue and green - no black wire from trim motor. If so then jumper it a to a battery. If the motor does not spin then it is broken. Actually, it sounds rusted. Which is broken. If you let it go too far and salt water drips through motor into the system then your orings harden and you're fubar. So if you have one of those motors with thick coating of flaky rust ... then just throw it away.

the mercury trim motor is the best. Lasts nearly twice as long as the aftermarkets in a coastal boat. But sometimes 2x product for 3x price isn't always a good deal. Spray the chinese aftermarket ($150) with a thick coating of plasti-seal and you should get 5-7 years in a coastal environment.

but no matter what you do, don't let your trim motor get rusty enough to have leaky gaskets. That will run the hydraulics.

Thanks Captain! I do indeed have the two wire system. That said, I believe I will just replace the motor with an aftermarket. What I've found on line are two options: an arco, and a sierra. I will replace with which ever one I can get the best price on, unless you recommend one over the other. I will also apply the coating you recommend.

If I can trouble you with one more question: Do I simply run the two wires back through the port and plug them in at the first connection? Things are pretty tight in the area of the wiring and relays, and not at the optimal location for my bifocals, but it looks like I should be able to just pull the current connections apart and make the new connection.

Thanks again for your assistance.

pungodicie

Cadet

Forgot one thing: Do you know if the seal or o-ring at the bottom of the trim motor comes with the new motor or do I need to order that separately.

RRitt

Captain

your trim motor wires should have snap connectors about 6" back from relays. The small ones go to your switch and the big ones go to your trim motor. Your new motor will have male bullet connectors and just plugs right back in. The new motor also should come with an oring type gasket. If it is the square one with funny corners then use a dab of weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place. Lacking weatherstrip adhesive, really thick and gooey grease works (kind-of). You don't want it to fall out and get pinched. a new gasket will cost you $25-$30.

ARCO is second best behind Mercury. Sierra is hit or miss. Some are better than chinese and some are chinese with a higher pricetag. I'd just stick with ebay special before spending too much on Sierra. If you can get ARCO for under $200 then IMO it is a good risk to take. If not, then chinese for $160 is probably better value. The last ARCO i worked with did not have the stainless through bolts. I can't remember which model it was. I just remember being surprised that ARCO was cutting that corner. Still, ARCO is the gold standard of aftermarket for good reason.

pungodicie

Cadet

Thanks Captain! I will go with the Arco. I will also try to reuse my through bolts if they appear to fit. They are in pretty good shape, and only show a little rust staining. Great shape compared to the motor casing. I had tried to separate the bullet connectors the other day while looking it over, but was not successful. I'll just have to be a little more persuasive. Thanks again. Wish I could find a person to work on my home heating unit who was as knowledgeable as you. Happy sailing.