Not sure what Mariner engine I actually purchased!!!

ewag316

Cadet
Recently purchased my 1st ever boat.... '93 Procraft fish/ski combo for $3500 cash. I knew she would take some TLC and elbow grease to get her cleaned up and "trustworthy".... turns out boat was a bathtub for some time holding rainwater in front yard. Lots of rotten "non structural" wood and damage. Wasn't expecting those kinds of problems, so I'm feeling a little bit paranoid, like perhaps I got taken. Not being that experienced in the boating world, I'm uncertain of about everything I come across. I'm fairly handy with engines and electrical, I just don't know squat about boating and boats.

This boat was sold to me as having a 200 HP Mariner. Serial # on the starboard side of the swivel bracket is 0D200489 or 0D300489... photo attached. I can't tell for sure if the the number after the D is a "2" or a "3"....

20131221_135121.jpg

The Procraft boat capacity sticker states it has a 200 HP engine, and the boat identification number engraved on the stern starboard indicate it is a 200 C, which according to NADA book, model 200 C would have a 200 HP engine.

The engine cowling stickers indicate it is a Mariner 200, and the serial number, whether a 200489 or 300489 are in the correct range for it to be a 1993 or 1994 engine, 200 hp.

All that sounds good, so the point of my concern is that I can't find the serial number on the engine block to save my life, so my conspiracy theory mind is kicking in. I have a Mariner service manual DVD from a friend that covers a few decades of Mercury / Mariner engines, and when I look this one up there are various diagrams that seem to resemble my engine, but nothing convincing. I have found several numbers on the engine block, but not 0D300489 or anything similar. This picture shows which numbers I found where, and where I'm expecting to find the serial number. Where the manual says to find it is right where most of the electrical system is at, making it very hard to see.

Engine Block Diagram.jpg

I looked up the number "33832012" as a possible serial number and it doesn't fit any Mariner engine range. :yell:

Trying to match up carb info with the service manual, and I can't find a diagram that looks like one of my carbs to save my life....making me worry more.

My questions are simple and for those of you who have more experience in boating world than I do, this might be stupid question, but perhaps you can help calm my nerves:

1 - Any tips on how to locate the engine block serial number? I'm stumped.
2 - Any chance there is a different serial # on the block than there is on the swivel bracket?
3 - Any chance there is something OTHER THAN a Mariner engine inside the cowling?
4 - When I look up 0D300489 on some websites, it shows it as a 1994 and/or 1993 model year.... help?
5 - Am I worrying unnecessarily because I'm new to this and concerned that I got screwed on the boat purchase?

Bought this boat and went cheap expecting to put some love in to it, but bought something large enough so my entire family can enjoy it together.... wife and four kids.... need to make her safe and sound before putting my loved ones on the water fishing or skiing.

Every drop of help you guys can give me will be great. If I don't have confidence in what engine I have, it makes it very hard to know what parts to buy. This is my first post, probably of many, and I'm looking forward to good responses.

Last edited:

ewag316

Cadet
Re: Not sure what Mariner engine I actually purchased!!!

Continuing to do some more research.... maybe starting to answer some of my own questions???

On Outboard Motors, Boat Parts, Marine Engines, Inboard Boat Motor...
** S# 0D300489 pulls up as a "R/MR ALPHA ONE STERNDRIVE"
** D# 0D200489 pulls up as a "MERCURY/MARINER (135/150/175/200/XR6/MAGNUM III)"

On www.**********...
** S# 0D300489 shows a "R/MR ALPHA ONE STERNDRIVE"
** S# 0D200489 and ********** says the serial number doesn't exist

On Auto/Truck Repair Manuals by Chilton, Haynes, Clymer & Factory the year information is confusing....
** S# 0D300489 is in the range of a 1994 while
** S# 0D200489 is in the range of a 1993 engine

Getting somewhere perhaps.... thinking now that my missing / unreadable digit on the swivel bracket is a "2" not a "3"

Note that as posted above, I definitely to NOT have a Alpha One Sterndrive....

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard.

I'm sure someone will be able to id it for you.

A couple photos of the engine, cowl off, showing the ignition, carbs, head(s), would help.

Yes, it is possible that the swivel bracket is not original.

Powerhead may have been replaced, it could be a Merc powerhead.

Were you able to test drive the boat before purchase? (sea trial)
Have you used it since purchase?

OD200489 should be 1993, with one thin orange stripe on the cowl under the word Mariner, in white.

Is motor carbed? or fuel injected?

How many cylinders? hopefully 6

Thats about all I can give you, as I can't find my manual.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

ewag :welcome: Go here:

https://webapps.brunswick.com/literature/literatureSearch.do

and enter your serial number with the 2 not the 3 in the serial number box and hit continue. It comes back to a 1993 mariner 200hp. you can then look up parts and diagrams to confirm that this what you have.

Dukedog

Captain

Merc or Mariner makes no difference. They're tha one in tha same. About tha only place you will find a serial number on tha block will be stamped in tha "welsh" plug. Most have tha number there but there are some that squeak by without it for whatever reason. It is a round disk looking plug on top of tha block, just behind tha flywheel cover. It looks like a freeze plug to tha normal person...........

Last edited:

ewag316

Cadet

Thank you roscoe, tazrig, Dukedog and carholme!!! Very reassuring to see some good responses.

By observation alone, engine is definitely a V6 with carbs.... definitely not DFI or EFI. Here are some pics.

20140102_093941.jpg

20131215_150440.jpg20131215_150449.jpg20131215_150501.jpg

See the pic that shows the top of the carbs well? The plate that is on top of each carb is one piece that covers both "halfs" of the carb, but looking in my service manual thru the carb section, every single carb in there has a two-piece cover plate (one for port, one for starboard). Here's a good close-up of the top carb.

20131221_132440.jpg

Do the numbers there help me identify my carbs somehow? The service manual has a bunch of WMH (1 thru 39) and several WMV (1 thru 5/5A).... seems like the WMV is for year '96 to '98' carb. Best I can tell is I have WMH34, but the diagram for that carb (or any of them for that matter) doesn't look like the pics above.

See next post for diagram of carb that is confusing me.

I was NOT able to test drive her before purchase. Whether the owner was blowing smoke or not is irrellevant, but he did not have time, working 7 days / weeks till 5 pm. Gets dark at that point. Did run the engine in his yard a few times, including me being there for a cold start. If fires up good, and has fired up good in my driveway. I realize the engine may perform differently under a load, but at least it seems OK on the trailer. Prop "slop" was almost non-existent when in gear. Had a friend who knows boats fairly well look her over with me, but main focus was mechanical. Believing I could probably sell her for the engine alone and get my money out, I opted to purchase without a sea trial.

ewag316

Cadet

Limited to only 5 pics per post.... here's the one showing the carb that I believe I should have, along with where I got the photos from:

Carb Question.jpg

20140101_224727.jpg

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

Are you using the Mercury service manual 90-824052? If not, see my PM to you in the Notifications box at the top of the page.

Gerry

ewag316

Cadet

Yes Gerry. Thanks!

I'm using 90-824052R3 June 2002.

Best I can tell, I'm in the correct manual. The DVD I have access to has a lot of stuff on it, but this seems to be the correct one to be looking at.

Dukedog

Captain

Hate be tha "advocate" but that's not a 200. Could be anything in between a 2.0 150 ta 2.4 175. But definitely not a 200. Those carborators are "WH" 29's. Gonna need to look up what motor they came on............

ewag316

Cadet

That's what I'm afraid of.... but that's exactly what I need to figure out, so thank you for your "advocacy" Dukedog. So it would be possible to mount up a smaller HP engine inside the cowling for a 200 hp motor? Are things that compatible.....?

Dukedog

Captain

Looks ta be used ona '85 2.0 150......Ya need ta find tha build date stamped on tha block. Its gonna be right behind tha advance timin' arm at tha base od number 2 cylinder on tha "block" half. Will be 1/8" numbers m/d/yr.

Yes, they are...........

Dukedog

Captain

Also there is a small circle stamped on tha edge of tha heads. In tha circle it will have either 3 1/8 or 3 3/8 stamped in it...............

Look for tha "disk" carholme pictured. Its on top of tha block..............

Last edited:

ewag316

Cadet

Yes sir I believe you are correct .... found it.... not a happy camper....

MERCURY 2.0L 150 ELPT
150 H.P. XR-2 MARATHON MAGNUM (V-6) (1978-1985 COMBINED BOOK)

ewag316

Cadet

Here are pics of where I found 6366778....

20140102_112312.jpg20140102_112341.jpg

I didn't see anything resembling m/d/yr however?

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

Sorry but it happens more than ya know. Tha guy you got if from might not have known either. Seen stuff like this go right by dealers with supposedly "jam up" mechanics checkin' 'em out. Have ya tried ta run it yet. All may not be lost if it runs good.........

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

In your 4th picture. Look right behind tha bend of tha timin' arm on tha block. I can see it but can't read it..........

ewag316

Cadet

It seems to run good out of the water. Sounds like a dang drag racing machine actually. Have not had her in the water yet though, but I have no "real" reason to think it won't do well in the water.

In all honestly, if I would have KNOWN it was a 150 that is 28 years old it probably wouldn't have even bothered me because I don't know much about this water world, but THINKING that I purchased a 20 yo 200 HP engine and finding out later that's not what I got is very frustrating.

:frusty:

Just looked up the carbs on https://webapps.brunswick.com/litera...atureSearch.do and the diagram looks like exactly what I posted pics of above. At least I didn't spend any money buying engine parts for a 1993 / 200 HP motor.

The service manual DVD that I got from my buddy doesn't go back to '85 so now I'm also out that valuable piece of information.

Thanks for your help. I'll need to keep asking questions.... I'm not going away!