Get 115 1983 running

Fiftybucks

Cadet
hi all,
i have a 1983 115 inline 6 serial no. 6541265 that i am trying to get in tip top running condition. I am new to outboards but have had mercruiser i/o most of my life. i am handy but no experience with any outboards. I will be getting a manual

The engine is very hard to start, let alone run smoothly.
I did get it to start, only after shooting starting fluid in the carb throats.
Ran terribly, and then 2 of the 3 carbs leaked fuel all over.
the clear fuel filter kept going dry. there was an air leak in the fuel line now fixed.
Going to do a compression check today and to get fresh fuel in metal outboard fuel tank along with some sea foam. I also checked the spark on each cylinder one at a time and is strong. I have a good new marine battery fully charged.
Quality OEM muffs in place.

This is what was done to the engine and what i can see all by professional shop.
It still does not run, or easy start. I have assumed to this point that the pro shop would have check the compression before proceeding with any work.

New plugs NGK BUHW
New Reeds
new seals
used reed cage
reed valve set
crankcase gasket
Primer Assembly and squeeze Bulb
Inline clear fuel filter
$310
there were also 2 new electronic board on the side next to the coils. I don't know what they are called.
I will post the compression values later today.

What is the next step if the compression checks?
Can i run if the stator is bad... I checked voltmeter but did not show charging. I know.. maybe bad voltmeter but i don't think so.

Last edited:

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Get 115 1983 running

One of the first thing a pro workshop should do is a comp.test.

Sure none of the wires from switchboxes to coils or plugwires have been mixed?

Is the timing and syncr. correctly set?

Have carbs been cleaned or rebuildt?

What about the fuel-pump, does your bilge hand-pump stays hard and firm while squising it?

Here are some good woords about the electric and ignition system (page 83-84): CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting

Last edited:

Fiftybucks

Cadet

bought compression gauge at HF.
#1- 70lbs
#2- 70lbs
#3- 70lbs
#4- 70lbs
#5- 70lbs
#6- 30lbs no mistype.. that is 30

water pump seems ok.. engine did not get hot and water out steady stream
goes into forward and reverse fine... new propeller

there is a fitting near the no. 3 spark plug hole... with a little tube.. thought that was like oil pressure
undid it just for 2 seconds.... water came out. hope that is ok.

wires not crossed
carbs leaking at first, but not now. maybe need to be rebuilt
the squeeze bulb sometimes is soft and sometimes hard.

tomorrow i am going to try a different compression gauge.

this electrical part was replaced see photo
DSCN1875.jpg

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I suspect your compression gauge is reading low. Also, It is unusual for #6 cylinder to have low compression. I would suspect stuck rings. You can pop off the bottom transfer cover and inspect the cylinder walls and see.

In addition, the items the shop replaced usually do not go bad, and they would usually cost a lot more than you paid. I suspect they didn't actually replace any of them. Those elec boards are the switchboxes, and they are quite pricey. Something the shop says is likely crap.

Fiftybucks

Cadet

New Compression Gauge... New No.s
#1 - 116
#2 - 117
#3 - 116
#4 - 116
#5 - 117
#6 - 62

Conversation with previous owner, said #6 was low when he got it, but came up to over 110 after a few outings.
That compression confirmed by mech that worked on it in april 2013. I think it will be ok once used.
I have Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinder soaking to see if it will free the rings up.

Don't get the harbor freight 3 hose compression guage... the the one with 1` hose and 4 brass knurled spark plug fittings. worked great and really made the bend going into #6.

I did find that fitting on the head was for "water Pressure" I had no idea that outboards had water pressure to the dash gauge to show impeller condition.

Bought Manual - Seloc 1965-1989 inline 6.

I am going to study the carburetor info.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

To be clear, the elbow on the cylinder head water jacket is for the telltale indicator. It can be used for a 0-15PSI water pressure gauge (which I recommend), if you install a brass tee, one side for the telltale and one for the pressure gauge pipe nipple.

Fiftybucks

Cadet

sorry.. what is 'telltail' where is it and what do i look for? i have not had any outboard before.
also on the cost at the mech... 310 was part, and did not include the 'switchbox' as it was on a missing invoice.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The telltale is a constant stream of water exiting the motor, to show that the motor is pumping water.

Not sure I understand your second sentence.

Fiftybucks

Cadet

my wife says to rebuild 115 down to the rings.

Last edited: