Mariner Lower Unit

joe_zef87

Recruit
I have a 60hp Mariner 2 stroke. I think it is an 87' model. Not definitely sure about that though.

I am looking to take the boat out the water and do some maintenace to the outboard over the winter. I am having some bother getting it into reverse. It does go in but needs a good throw in with some crunching. So this winter i would like to remove the unit and strip the gearbox. It looks quite straight forward to take the gearbox off the bottom, my only concern is how is it connected to the engine itself?

Is it just a shaft straight into the bottom of the engine that will slide out when i unbolt and pull the lower assembly off?

Has the selector got to be disconnected under the engine itself prior to pulling it out with the lower assembly?

Thank you for your time.

Joe

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mariner Lower Unit

No. Once you unbolt the lower unit, it should just drop out. Don't forget about the bolt under the trim plate.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mariner Lower Unit

Maybe the problem is simple as adjusting the shift cable where it attaches to the motor. Moving the adjustment further to the reverse direction may fix this. Another possibility is the shift shaft not installed at the proper angle and can be fixed by removing the lower unit, adjust the shaft position and remounting.

If not then if your having to ask how to remove the LU then forget about fixing the dog clutch and gears. All of that requires a factory service manual and special tools.