not spitting at idle

mmustafa4

Cadet
Hey guys,

Im a new member also first time thread poster trying to get my feet wet here.

I have a mariner 9.9 outboard motor that does not spit water when in idle. It will start to **** out water only in high rpms. I just took the bottom part out and checked the impeller and it is in perfect shape. I dont think it is clogged because it shoots out water at high rpm. What could the problem be here?

i have no idea what year this thing is but it says 1984 on the side written in sharpie. It also has a cover on it that says 15hp but the side plate says 9.9ml so im guessing the 15hp cover was a replacement and really is a 9.9. :confused:

682c 9.9mL on side plate. ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: not spitting at idle

1985 ish. Should have a 682- or 684- before that serial number. Japanese 9.9 Mariner. Sounds like your thermostats maybe not opened up at idle.

mmustafa4

Cadet

1985 ish. Should have a 682- or 684- before that serial number. Japanese 9.9 Mariner. Sounds like your thermostats maybe not opened up at idle.

There is a 682c number. I dont run it for more then a few seconds because im afraid to damage impeller. You think if i let it idle for a minute or two it would start pissing for me?

mmustafa4

Cadet

Bump. Should I run it at idle and wait for the motor to get warm and see if thermostat will open then?

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe your motor is different but our Merc 9.8 (110 model) would start peeing within 2 seconds of starting. My 100 hp is the same.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, just bought it a couple days ago. Pisses at high rpm not at idle.
Since you just bought it and probably don't know the real history it would be prudent to replace the water pump impeller. While you're at it, go ahead and replace the lower unit oil too.

mmustafa4

Cadet

Since you just bought it and probably don't know the real history it would be prudent to replace the water pump impeller. While you're at it, go ahead and replace the lower unit oil too.

Took off the lower unit and seems like impeller was just replaced everything is in tip top shape. Asked the guy before I bought it about water pump and it was replaced last month. Have receipt and old box for proof from him. I guess only thing to do is let it warm up for a few minutes and see if anything will change.

mmustafa4

Cadet

Okay so i ran it this morning from cold and right away a small stream started to dribble down the side. No power to it what so ever, when i revved the engine up it was still the same stream did not get stronger or anything. Could this be a clog? if so do i have to take the lower unit off again to clear it?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Depending on several things it is common that it takes a few minutes before it starts a pee stream. The thermostat has to open first. After you start it you can lay your hand on the cylinder block as it warms up. it will get very warm. If it gets to hot to hold your hand out then you need to replace a few things. The thermostat would be on top of the list being as you thing the impeller has been changed sand then see how it works.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check to make sure that the key is on the driveshaft that locks the impeller. Also make sure that it isnt damaged, a missing impeller key would result in the impeller barely spinning (if at all), it might spin a little just because of friction even without the key but it wont really pump water. If the key is damaged, it may be letting the impeller slip.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the water jackets could be clogged if they sucked up a bunch of sand. Take the lower unit off and remove the thermostat cover, then take a garden hose and put it in the thermostat hole, water should freely pour out the motor leg... If it doesnt, then you could have a clog...

mmustafa4

Cadet

Thanks guys found the problem took a wire and air blew the thing now shoots out like a champ. Had to be clogged somewhere. One thing tho i bought this a few days ago and i cant tell if there is a knocking sound or not i have no idea the motor sounds very loud and ways i can check if there are internal problems? The thing fires up everything moves as its suppose to and it sounds like it has some kick to it. But i cant help like feeling there is a knocking sound somewhere.:facepalm::grumpy:

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class

You needs to do a compression check on each cylinder. That would be step one to figuring out if the motor is mechanically ok...