Mariner 90hp 6 Cyl 1986 Starting

soulriderleo

Cadet
I have a 1986 Mariner 90 hp 6 cyl outboard that I had up and running till I disconnected the battery cables and harness to re-route them. It no longer turns over? I thought it may be the "Starter Solenoid" since that was the most likely thing, so I removed it and tested it from some internet instructions and it seemed to pass the test?? So I re-installed it and still nothing? I even replaced the 20a fuse. When I turn the key on and push it in to test the electronic choke, it clicks to let me know that works. The tilt/trim also works, so I know the battery is good. What could I be missing? Could it still be the starter solenoid? Or could I have shorted something else out when I unhooked the wires, creating a spark?

Please help!!

Thanks

LeoIMG_1803.jpgIMG_1804.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner 90hp 6 Cyl 1986 Starting

Is the neutral safety switch stuck? Is the ign keyswitch working? Turn the key to the start position and wiggle the throttle handle, and see if she cranks. Then check the safety switch for proper operation, followed by the ign switch. None of this has anything to do with your cable playing.....

soulriderleo

Cadet

Thanks Chris. Where would the Neutral Safety Switch be? Is it in the controls box or in the engine? My ignition switch seems to be working fine, or at least it was before?
Thanks for your help!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Neutral safety switch is inside controls.

soulriderleo

Cadet

Ok, I found it. How can I test it? Is it common that that switch fails? Could it have been shorted out?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

When the throttle is in neutral, the switch should close, allowing voltage to go to the solenoid, when the ign key is in the start position.

soulriderleo

Cadet

Ok, so in order for me to get good access to that switch, and see it clearly, I had to take off the throttle lever and the plastic housing. So I don't know how to test it? When I took the lever and housing off, it was in Neutral. I will look at it close, to see if I can figure it out?

soulriderleo

Cadet

Problem Solved? So I removed the Neutral Safety Switch and connected the two wires that attach to it, and the engine turns over!! YEAH!! Now I just need to find the replacement switch and replace it :)

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

soulriderleo

Cadet

So, on another note. I took the boat out for the first time yesterday and boy was it an adventure!! Luckily I had my little kicker motor to get us back in. To make a long story short, my 1986 90hp Mariner outboard started and ran, but did not want to idle very well after it was warmed up. It also died almost every time I stuck it in gear? I finagled it to the point of getting it to get up and go, it went for about 1 minute at med - full throttle, then slowly died. but that didn't work for too long. It seams as if when in the water, the resistance kept it from idling or staying running when engaged in gear? I had to quickly punch it to get it going? Also, after I got home, while flushing it, it started right up, idled, and went in gear with throttle up just fine?? So it feels like when submerged in the ocean, it is suffocating it to not run well??
Any ideas??
Thanks!!